Old 04-19-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
Louine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Louine
First pair of socks....
I had wondered what all the excitement of knitting socks was all about....First I live in the south....my students were flip flops all year long (actually I really don't see all year long but they say "we live at the beach") and I don't wear closed in shoes much, and those little tiny needles spelled too much work.....however, I went to my LYS yesterday (30 miles) away and fell in love with the new yarns. So, I started my first pair of socks.
I have a question?
This is my first time with using DP kneedles for mor than I cord and once for the crown of a hat....and it seems so awkward to me. I am having trouble learning to hold the kneedles....I am an English knitter.....any suggestions or is it just something that I will get the feel of after a while.....I am moving very slow.....1 1/4 inches of ribbing is all I have so far.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Celine
Turning the Heel

Welcome
I wecome you to the wonderful world of sock knitting!! It is addicting! I learned how to knit socks in October and learned the "Toe Up" method, so I did not have to use the dpn right away and I think that helped me a lot. Now I can knit a pair in a few days if I really had too!! :XX: :XX:

I'm sure someone here will help you out with your question. Welcome again! :D
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Sock knitting is very addicting! It's also nice because it's more portable than other knitting. When I first started using the small DPN's I felt pretty awkward to. Really I can't give you any advice but to keep at it...once I got a few inches of ribbing done it got much easier. Oh, and remember not to get too tense while doing it...I think focusing on the small needles, small stitches etc. made my arms and fingers tense which just made the whole situation worse.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #4
Mienna
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Mienna Send a message via MSN to Mienna Send a message via Yahoo to Mienna
They still feel a bit awkward to me until I get a bit of the work done, then I guess the weight of the sock helps balance the needles. I've only done socks on 4 dpn's and the project I just finished was on 5, and that was even a little more awkward at first. Just stick with it, you'll get used to the needles and turning the heel is magic.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Louine
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Louine
Magic....to Mienna
I hope turning the heel will feel like magic......it looks hard....but I am armed with good directions and Amy's video on making the child's sock so hopefully, I will feel the magic.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Julie
Instepping Out

Also bookmark Silver's Sock Class: http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/So..._Beginning.htm

It's one of the best resources for beginning sock knitters out there
Old 04-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I tried teaching a lady at my SnB how to knit with dpns last night, and she found it awkward too. Personally, I find all of my dpn projects are a little floppy and wonky until I get about an inch or so into them, then they seem to behave better. Stick with it, the end results and the gratification of learning something new are immense!!!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:D I'm so excited to find yet another new socknitter I, like everyone, I think, was awkward with my 1st dpns After a while it will be like 2nd nature to you :D Socks are lots of fun, portable, as Kemp said, just fun, fun, fun...my favorite things to knit. Just remember...Enjoy it, have fun

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
margie
Instepping Out

I agree with what has already been said- once you get a couple of inches done, it gets much easier!! I found that having my work rest on a table in the beginning helped me to not lose control of the needles so much.
Turning the heel is not that bad- really!!
I just turned the heel on my first sock on dpns. I think I may be addicted!!
margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
I'm just going to repeat what everyone else said already.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote