Old 04-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
happyknitter613
Ribbing the Cuff

New to Circular Needles - Simple Hat Pattern?
Hello,

I would like to learn how to use circular needles and I thought it might be a good idea to make a simple baby hat in order to practice using them (my goal is to make a felted purse, but I need to practice first!). Can someone recommend a pattern? Thank you so much!

Christianne
:XX:
happyknitter613 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
this one would be super easy. just cast the stitches onto the circ instead of DPNs and go to it (knitting stockinette in the round is just knitting every round....no purling required!)

you don't have to change colors either unless you really want to.

i have a hard time getting most baby hats to fit on circs but someone may have a pattern that will work for you!

do you have the circular needle already? btw...you will likely need DPNs to finish the hat because as you decrease the number of stitches around will be too few to get around the needle. It is super easy to use them at this point!
Old 04-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
Here's a few good patterns.

I've made this one and it was super easy. It's for a child.
Simplest Cap

I haven't made this one, but it's so cute!!!
Piece of Cake Hat

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
mulene
Working the Gusset

I am making the one Brenda suggested. I got my Denise delivered yesterday, went out at lunch and bought some DK wool (sport weight to US knitters) that was very cheap and watched Amy's video.

I sat down last night and started, I'm well on my way - I did some more at lunchtime today :XX: so far it has been pretty easy. Just make sure not to let it twist. I'm using a single colour yarn to practice with. I'll probably make a few of these as practice runs and try colour variations later, but as a first time circle knitting project it is proving to be nice and straightforward!

Edit: DOH I didnt look at the link properly.. this is the one I am making not the one Brenda suggested.. http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt06.htm

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
bethie
Ribbing the Cuff

Goodness, your completed projects on your website look like they should be on the cover of a knitting magazine! I have a LOOOOOOOOONg way to go.

Originally Posted by Jan in CA

I've made this one and it was super easy. It's for a child.
Simplest Cap

I haven't made this one, but it's so cute!!!
Piece of Cake Hat
bethie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
[quote="bethie"]Goodness, your completed projects on your website look like they should be on the cover of a knitting magazine! I have a LOOOOOOOOONg way to go.

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
ME??! Wow..thanks! I started knitting on October '05 and if I can do it you can do it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
happyknitter613
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am off to buy some circular needles so that I can begin practicing!

Christianne
happyknitter613 is offline   Reply With Quote