Old 04-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Fudgie
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Fudgie
Don't you find it annoying...
Don't you find it so frustrating that you can't take knitting needles on aircraft in case you kill someone?
I think that it is justified when talking about small/metal needles, however applying the rule to blunt plastic ones (especially the large ones) is just rediculous. I think that if they take that attitude then they should also bad drop spindles in case someone tries to hang themselves or someone else!
Do ppl agree?

My Knitters Geek Code:
KER+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Pl+ Syn++ Nov++ Stash+ Scale+ Fin+ Ent? FI+ Int++ Flat++ Circ-- DPN+ ML? Swatch KIP++ Blog-- SNB- EZ? FO13 WIP2 GaugeDK+ B ALT X++ Em+ Sw
Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's my understanding that many airlines do allow knitting needles these days. I guess the airlines realized it's safer to have knitters with needles than knitters without them.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Ingrid
It's my understanding that many airlines do allow knitting needles these days. I guess the airlines realized it's safer to have knitters with needles than knitters without them.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Where did you hear that? Lots of topics about the fact that you can take them on airplanes in this forum. Us the search at the top to find them. Here's the TSA info.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Fudgie
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via MSN to Fudgie
When I last went to Germany (4 weeks ago) I wasn't allowed them on the plane.

My Knitters Geek Code:
KER+ Exp+ SPM+ Steel+ Pl+ Syn++ Nov++ Stash+ Scale+ Fin+ Ent? FI+ Int++ Flat++ Circ-- DPN+ ML? Swatch KIP++ Blog-- SNB- EZ? FO13 WIP2 GaugeDK+ B ALT X++ Em+ Sw
Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

I just flew to CA from GA and back two weeks ago and had no problems--I'm flying to Providence RI in July--I wonder if it's an internation thing...?

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
samm
Turning the Heel

I wonder how many baddies would be disguising themselves on a plane by knitting!? Seems unlikely to me. I guess someone thinks it is possible. Oh well, I'm lucky. I never fly anywhere anyway. :D samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

It's an international thing. TSA will allow them domestically, but Australia/New Zealand won't allow them. (Which I find very amusing since they produce so much of our yarn!) I'm sure there are other countries that won't allow them either.

However, other countries will allow lighters in checked baggage and the US they are not allowed. :thinking:

My recommendation is to carry bamboo needles and keep a low profile. Be prepared to either mail your needles back to yourself, or just leave them with security. Check on an expat or travel board to see if they are "legal" on the flights.

Oh, and don't leave your knitting on the plane because you'll never find it again!
projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:33 PM   #9
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
Originally Posted by projectgal
Oh, and don't leave your knitting on the plane because you'll never find it again!
Still haven't gotten your project back? :(

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Nicoley
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Nicoley Send a message via MSN to Nicoley Send a message via Yahoo to Nicoley
Re: Don't you find it annoying...
Originally Posted by Fudgie
Don't you find it so frustrating that you can't take knitting needles on aircraft in case you kill someone?
I think that it is justified when talking about small/metal needles, however applying the rule to blunt plastic ones (especially the large ones) is just rediculous. I think that if they take that attitude then they should also bad drop spindles in case someone tries to hang themselves or someone else!
Do ppl agree?
i think it depends on the airlines... you can check the website of the airlines your going to use and they usely tell you weather or not you can use them on the flight... i know last year i have no problems with my needles on North Western Airlines...