Old 04-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Sizing
Okay, so I know all about gauge and the relationship between guage and size. I mean, I don't know everything, but I understand the concept, and so on. Here is what I want to know: Sizing. And the relationship between the different sizes. For example, are there garment industry standards that tell us what the approximate (average) measurements of say, a size 10 are? And what is the percentage relationship between both the numbered sizes and general sizes of s, m and l? For instance, if I have a pattern that only gives info for a size small, and I want to make a medium, is there a percentage by which I could increase the pattern to get the medium? I know HOW to do it, I'm just not sure by HOW MUCH? Is a medium, in general, 15% larger than a small?

I know that it depends on the type and fit of a garment, but there must be some standards based on averages and so on, right? I am finally ready to start designing, but feel I need more information on garment fit and sizing before I do this. Any wisdom you have to impart would be appreciated.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #2
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

For anyone else interested in the topic, I found this article on Ease which is good.

Now this article is VERY FASCINATING and covers some interesting topics related to sizing.

I'm still not sure I have found the answer to my questions. :rollseyes:
Old 04-25-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
maybe this page will help:
http://www.yarnstandards.com/sizing.html

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

As someone who sews, I can tell you that size truly doesn't matter! Measurements do. What's a small in one pattern could be a medium or extra-small in another. Unfortunately there is no "standard" sizing. Whenever I make wearables where size is a concern, I take measurements, and then go by the finished sizes in the pattern.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by nicolethegeek
As someone who sews, I can tell you that size truly doesn't matter! Measurements do. What's a small in one pattern could be a medium or extra-small in another. Unfortunately there is no "standard" sizing. Whenever I make wearables where size is a concern, I take measurements, and then go by the finished sizes in the pattern.
NO NO NO! I want easy, simple, patent answers! I want to run the numbers and be done with it. WHAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I know it sucks... it really does! When I was big into sewing, I found that European sizes were much more consistent than North American ones. Since I have such a small list of people that I will actually knit {or crochet} involved things for, I often have their measurements right here {esp. since most of them live with me!}.

The yarn standards site, and a few others are great for a reference, but none of it is hard and fast rules. The only generalization I usually make is that one inch at the waist is a size, and that two inches at the bust is a size. Even that isn't that great of a gauge, esp since I'm proportional the other way around!!!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
Old 04-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,828 Posts
When you buy clothing, the more expensive the store, the smaller the sizes that women can wear. :rollseyes:

If sizes were consistent, we wouldn't need dressing rooms and have to bring in a few sizes.

Knitting patterns are the same. One pattern's size small is 32 inches and another's is 40. Inches are what counts, I guess.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Well, I have found several articles about the supposed standards that exist. But mostly, you all are right. I just hate having to ask for measurements, it ruins part of the surprise!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
aylaanne
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to aylaanne Send a message via MSN to aylaanne Send a message via Yahoo to aylaanne
just because you don't know their measurements, doesnt mean you can't estimate. Pick a size.

In the queue:
Jack Skellington baby afghan
Finished: Warm Up America Square, Basketweave Baby Blanket (now to ship it), Massachusetts Dishcloth for the Yarn Harlot, Homeless Hat
, water bottle cozy

aylaanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Maybe you can do an adult version of what I do with my kids in September of every year... it's a list of favourites and dislikes, and all of their measurements. They know that this is how I will decide on their Christmas and birthday presents for the following year, as well as my meal-planning {fave and hated foods are included as well}. The part that would relate to what you are doing is to get favourite colours and textures {some of this you may already know}, as well as any allergies. The measurements and foods as well would come in handy. If you put all this information on an index card, along with anniversary and birthdates, it becomes an invaluable reference for any occasion you might have. Getting a "listing" like this wouldn't clue the person in to what you have in mind, and also lets the person know that you really care about what they like and don't.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro