Old 04-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
candicane
Working the Gusset

KnitPicks Simple Stripes pattern
Has anyone used this pattern for socks? (free on their website) It calls for size 3 needles. I tried some sockettes with size 3s and fingering weight sock yarn and thought they were too loose. Just want a second opinion before I order some more needles from my new best friend, Jeff.

Candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

I think the general rule is that if you want a tighter sturdier sock you can go down a needle size or two. Keep in mind, though, that it will affect your gauge.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:D When I have used Simple Stripes I used size 1 addi's. The socks looked nice using the 1's, I also love using size 0 addi's for socks, the fabric becomes much more dense & will last longer. My gauge (this is just me ) with fingering wt & size 1 addi's is around 8 sts per inch. With size 0 it runs around 9-10 sts per inch. Look @ the mm sizing when ordering addi's ... it's often different from the dpns or circs that u may be used to

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
sogrammatical
Knitting the Flap

I always use size 1s for my fingering weight socks. Makes a nice dense knit that doesn't feel bumpy on the bottom of your feet. I also always make them on dpns though, so I can't really advise on circs.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I use size 3's {3.25mm} when I'm using the Bernat Sox yarn. Since it's an acrylic/nylon blend, it tends to stretch a lot. I also used them when knitting DHs socks out of worsted weight. For my own socks I've used size 2 {2.75mm} for the ones out of Kroy. I can't recall what size my Bryspuns are, but that sock is probably getting frogged anyway... that lace pattern is a nightmare.

In any case, when it comes to fingering weight wool for socks, I would use nothing larger than a 3mm.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote