Old 04-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
Tell Me All About Needles
Hi fellow sisters and brothers:
Please help a real dummy here. All I ever used were size 10 aluminum and size 10 bamboo dpn's. I don't like either material. Now, what is interchangable needles and what are they for? Why are some straight ones longer than others? What is the most durable and smoothest? Any input is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
There is a huge thread in the forum here that you can read and get some insight.

Everyone has their favorites so and some of them depend on what yarn you are using.

Me? I like bamboo DPN's because the yarn doesn't slide off as easily as it does on the metal ones. Until I bought bamboo I'd just about given up learning to use them. Now it's a breeze.

I also have some Denise Interchangeables. Interchangeables are needles and cords that you can mix up for either circular knitting or flat. I like mine, but the yarn doesn't always go easily on the cords.

I also have several Addi Turbos which I love, but they are very expensive unless you buy them on ebay.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I don't have interchangeables, mainly because by the time I found out about them, I already had so many.

Jan covered most of it, but I want to point out that you can use circular needles and dpns for all your knitting. You really don't need straights at all.

I love my Addi's--very slick and smooth with a flexible cord. I, too, like bamboo for dpns, though.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Everyone has their own faves. I love Brittany birch; much nicer than bamboo and a set of Denise interchangeable circs, which I wouldn't give up for anything. However, unlike Ingrid, Iwill purchase more needles (Addi's are my next on the list) even tho' I already have them. (Bad gladys, bad, bad!!)
Gotta have Addi's
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #5
Cristy
Instepping Out

The best thing you can do, really, is try out different needles and see what works best for you. I'm an addi turbo fan and I like Brittany birch dpns. I don't really use straights so much anymore although I do have many sizes and lengths just in case...there are so many brands, etc. out there that I'd recommend finding a knitting buddy and seeing if they'd mind loaning you a pair that you've never tried before...kind of a try before you buy kind of thing...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

I've been recommending the Denise Interchangeable set because of its very flexible cables, which are easier on the wrists, and the convenient 17" cable needle length, which is 3" shorter than other sets, and a great size for hats.

If you're interested in the Denise set, stay tuned, I'll be selling them on this site starting this week. Not only that, but I'll be offering a Rainbow Colored set (same Denise set, in vibrant color), which will be available only on this site!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Well, I'm jealous. My Denises are grey and black/blue? Vibrant colors sounds cool.
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
How cool! Can't wait to see the colored ones.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
mulene
Working the Gusset

argh why did I buy my denise's last week! Rainbow coloured sounds excellent =D

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
Thanks for all your help. Here are more questions from me:
- Isn't straight the same as dpn?
- Why some needles are longer than others?
- Is there material like bamboo (I see some likings here) but smoother? The reason I didn't like it is because the pair I used scratched my jacket !

Amy: I am waiting axiously
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote