Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Lace scarf pattern
Today I found myself drooling as I found a mohair/acrylic yarn blend in at the goodwill. Three 1oz skeins for only $0.97? I wasn't passing that up. Anyways, I'm having some trouble with finding a pattern. I looked all over the label, and the only thing it says is that the skein is 1oz. I don't know the yardage or the gauge. That's where I'm baffled. Most patterns call for how many yards you need, and I have no clue how many yards I have! It's a lace-fingering weight yarn.

TIA
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Is there a brand name?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/wpigauge.htm

This chart gives lace weight as approximately 110 to 144 yards per ounce.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Originally Posted by Ingrid
Is there a brand name?
Mary Maxim
Mistie Mohair

The label looks very vintage.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

I looked at the Mary Maxim website, and didn't see that particular yarn listed. I'm guessing it's a discontinued line.

I did find this information on determining the gauge of handspun yarn It seems it should work the same for any yarn.

I hope this isn't abusing copyright laws to copy the info here. If it is, I apologize, and request a Moderator to edit out the following part of my post (my link above will take you to this same info).

Quote:
Using a standard ruler, start wrapping your handspun yarn around the ruler, being careful not to overlap the strands or create gaps between them. Once you've wrapped your yarn around an inch of the ruler, simply count the number of wraps you made.

Then, use the chart below to find the closest corresponding gauge, yarn category, and needle size that will work for your yarn. You can use this information to match your handspun with the best pattern.

WPI / Category / Gauge / Needle (U.S.) / Appx yards per oz

19-22 WPI / Fingering / 7-8 sts = 1" / SIZE 1-3US / 110-144
14-19 WPI / Sport / 6-6.5 sts = 1" / SIZE 4-6US / 75-110
11-13 WPI / DK / 5.5-6 sts = 1" / SIZE 5-7 US / 75-100
10-12 WPI /Worsted / 4-5.5 sts = 1" / SIZE 7-9 US / 55-75
8-10 WPI / Bulky / 3-3.5 sts = 1" / SIZE 10-11 US / 30-55
4-8 WPI / Superbulky or Polar / 1.5-3.5 sts = 1" / SIZE 13-17 US / 25-30
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
luckygrrl
Casting On

Jenelle,

I'm currently working on my first lace scarf. From Knitty:

http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/...nchingout.html

I'm using KnitPicks Palette yarn which is lace/fingering weight. Their skein lists the weight in grams, so I converted it online: one skein (231 yards) is about 1.7 ounces. I'm maybe a third of the way into the scarf and I have barely made a dent in the skein. I mean literally, it doesn't look like I've hardly used any yarn at all! I think I'll probably get through the entire scarf and not even be halfway through the skein, or maybe just about halfway through.

By no means am I any kind of expert at all, but that's just my estimation with the yarn I have and the pattern I'm using. I'd say you probably have more than enough to make probably any lace scarf (I do recommend that pattern, I've only been knitting for a few months and once I got going, it's looking great!).
luckygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

I don't have anything helpful to add... just wanted to say, good score! I *love* finding cheap yarn at Goodwill.
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Celine
Turning the Heel

Me too!!
Luckygirl, I just finished that lace scarf and it came out beautiful!! It was my very first lace to knit. I am starting a second one tonight. For the first one I used a Baby Alpaca mint green yarn and so SOFT...felt like whipped cream!!

I just came back from my LYS and they did not have any in blue so I bought something else that is also soft. I'm knitting it for my mother for Mothers' Day. :XX: :XX:
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by luckygrrl
Jenelle,

I'm currently working on my first lace scarf. From Knitty:

http://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/...nchingout.html
That looks like a nice pattern. Thanks for that. I'm afraid to make anything but then again I probably have about 200-300 yards of it... Its very thin though. I might make that scarf luckygrrl.