Old 04-30-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Mama2three
Casting On

how to ptbl? and ktbl
I understand the abbreviations, and how it twists the stitch, but i cant figure out if Im doing it right. which direction is purlwise and which direction is knitwise when you are going tthrough the back? Do you think of it as if you were looking at the back side?

Is there a video or GOODpics on this anywhere? When I p1tbl, I start with yarn in front, as if I was just to purl, then I insert my needle in the back from left to right, then wrap the yarn the same as if I was just purling regular, is that right? or am I dont it backwards?

AHHH I really want to make this dress, and it is going to take forever, especially if i keep coming across things i thought i had figured out but dont!
Lisa
Mama2three is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Quote:
When I p1tbl, I start with yarn in front, as if I was just to purl, then I insert my needle in the back from left to right, then wrap the yarn the same as if I was just purling regular, is that right? or am I dont it backwards?
That's correct.

When you ktbl, you go from right to left into the back loop with the yarn in back.

You've got it!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Mama2three
Casting On

OH good! you dont know how long it took me to figure it out, then I thought I ws all wrong! so it is just twisting it half way around. So then if I am to with yarn in front, sl2 purlwise tbl, I just slip each stitch by inserting the needle the same way, the only thing different in the result is that the stitch i slipped is twisted? that then has me bringing that yarn back in front of the slipped stitches to knit the next ones? I think it is right, i jsut need reassurance before I put hours into this thing!

thank you!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yes, slipping purlwise tbl would be from left to right. I remember figuring out the ptbl thing too, and if felt so weird. It is right, though.

If you slip the stitches with the yarn in front and then knit the next stitch, then, yes again, the yarn will ride in front of those slipped stitches.

See? You had it all along!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
Mama2three
Casting On

OH, thanks again, this place is great, i havnt visited in a long time, so glad I came back!