Old 05-02-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
the dirty G word
I have to admit, I am not one to normally check gauge (at least until I'm halfway done with the project anyway or it looks funny), but in measuring the Hipster, I realized my measurements are slightly off, so I decided to measure. To my great surprise, my gauge is EXACT to pattern specifications, I mean it just couldnt' be any closer for both rows and stitches. (that made me giggle) That being the case, how is it my measurements are off 1/2 inch in each direction?

This really isn't that big of a deal for this project, but gauge is something I would really like to understand fully and utilize (someday anyway as I long to make garments) and I don't get this! It is mostly in stockinette, but I have measured the rolling in edge with my full measurements as well, but could it still need to be blocked to get an accurate measurement? It's just WW wool in st st.... I don't think thats it, really, I'm just grasping.

Thanks bunches!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
It could very well be due to blocking, but I can't say for sure. Many patterns will give you gauge and measurements after blocking, others don't. We need some consistency here!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
i left out the part that it's going to be felted, i'm sorry, so it doesn't call for blocking, but i wonder if that's just like an unspoken thing here in this gauge. it's really irritating me. if this happens with such a small item, i am afraid what will happen if i really do start doing gauge swatches for garments and the like and then find problems like this even though i was correct. maddening! knitting is an art not a science? can i use that here?

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote