Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

OT, kitty sick and needed to vent
So one of my cats is sick and I'm worried to death. I'm not able to take him to the vet until tomorrow(monday) and I feel so horrible about it. I woke up to hear him throwing up on Saturday. It was just a clear liquid so I thought he was trying to dislodge a hairball so I gave him some hairball treats. But he's been throwing up since... and hasn't eaten or accepted water from what i've seen. I'm soo scared. I hate taking him to the vet because he gets so anxious and terrified. Plus I have no idea how we will be able to afford the tests I know the vet will want to run. My husband has to take him to the vet since I can't get the time off work. I feel like such a bad cat momma!

Please keep my Cozmo in your hearts.

and thank you so much for reading this!
XbelovedXoneX is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

Now--you're NOT a bad cat mama!! And it seems it's always on a weekend when they get sick. Cosmo could just have a little infection and need antibiotics--just make sure he can get to some water if he wants it, he's not going to starve before Monday!!

Our vet has always let me pay ---by the month--until I can pay it all---so I don't think yours would want you to pay it all now!! Don't worry about that, either---now you get some sleep sp you can get up tomorrow and take Cosmo!!!

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #3
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Cozmo is definitely in my thoughts and heart! I know exactly how you feel having my own furball have 2 knee surgeries and probably 2 more in the future (he's a 70lb mix, and oh so cute!).

You are not a bad cat momma though! The simple fact that you are worried shows this. And you are doing the best you can and getting him to the vet ASAP. Hopefully, it will be something easily treatable and he'll be back to normal.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

thanks for your support! Right now he's sitting in front of his food and water, looking so forlorn and looking like he's thinking "if i could only hold down a little..." poor little (well, actually quite big) guy!
XbelovedXoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Kitty hugs for your kitty!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Claire06
Ribbing the Cuff

Your poor kitty!

I know all about that sort of thing. We have an accident-prone cat - she's only just over a year old and has been to the vet more times than I can remember - numerous injured paws, a broken leg, the flu...... She's had so many antibiotics and antiinflamitries in her short life I'm surprised she's not immune to them! It's just about time to get her latest lot of stitches out....

Anyway we decided to get pet insurance when we found out that the cost to cover her for a year was the same ammount that we spent at the vet in ONE WEEK! Just something that you may want to consider.

She's not naughty, she just makes bad choices :rollseyes:

Anyway I hope he gets better soon. You're not a bad mummy because you notice and care!
Claire06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #7
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

if she can pass the pinch test, shes hydrated enough not to worry that she will pass in the night. take her skin between her shoulder blades and lift up. if it stays, shes really dehydrated. if it bounces back in place shes ok for now.

if she is dehydrated, you can try dropper liquid, or best, if you can get ahold of insulin syringes and fill them full of saline or sterile water (available at drug store) and inject them not in the muscle, but below the skin. that water will absorb through her circulatory system.

im probably being too cautious telling you this stuff, but i know what its like to have a sick sick animal and not be able to afford emergency care (walk in the door and its 150.00 right then and there. just for an assessment!)

i found a pretty decent site that explains lots of signs and symptoms in kitties
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto8.html

ill keep cozmo in my thoughts and heart tonight.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Awwwww! Poor kitty! The last two times my cat got sick was on a weekend, too. We ended up having to go the emergency clinic and man was that expensive!

Hugs to you both!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #9
Skater
Knitting the Flap

Sorry about your kitty :( . Hope it works out okay and that she's all right.
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #10

I'm so sorry your baby is sick. My boy did the same thing a while back, right after he would eat he'd turn around and throw up and most of the time it was just bile. And I too, was freaking out cause they are never sick. I called the vet and he said to give him the petromalt twice a day for a week and I did that and he got better. I'm sure its nothing serious, but I too will say a prayer for you and your baby.

I tell you these kids, they are my life also, so don't think you're not doing enough, going a day without food or water is just fine. Mine could stand to go a week Such tummies on those two.

Remember this too, people who love their animals as if they were their children should NEVER be ashamed for feeling the way they do. There's more of US out there than one might think. My friend once told me that its because God made us to feel that way. We can't help the way we feel about things and wanting to give our 'kids' the world is a wonderful character trait, embrace it.