Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Ruby
Casting On

Lion Brand Homespun
I made a shawl for my friend using Lion Brand Homespun. It took three skeins and the places where I joined them are protruding from where they were woven into the shawl. I have used this yarn before but didn't have this problem. Any ideas on what to do? All I know at this point is that I'll never use Homespun again.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
You didn't knot the joins and then weave them in did you?

I never worked with homespun before, so I don't know what it is like. I did hear that it's one of the worst yarns to work with though :(
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'm not sure how to fix it, but I admire your determination not to use Homeshun again. I can't stand it either. I wish someone would make a yarn that pretty that isn't so awful.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

agreed. I hate homespun. One of my LYSs sells homespun mill ends REALLY cheap, and every time I go in there I'm, like, hypnotized b y the colors "oooooh they're soooo beauuuutifullllllll" and i have to say NO BAD HILDIE!! I have a ton of it i have to get rid of, but they are the prettiest colors
Old 02-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #5
Ruby
Casting On

Lion Brand Homespun
Well, I joined the skeins and wove the ends in after I knitted a few more rows. So now I have some little tails that are hanging out and are fraying. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking the yarn. It's one of a couple of their yarns I plan on not using again.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #6
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

yes we ignored your problem, sorry!!!

hmmmmmm. the only think I can think of is a dab of clear nail polish to stop the fray... but there has to be something else. Since it's acrylic,you MIGHT be able to burn the knots and melt the acrylic, but i'd be nervous about putting a flame near my knitting, no matter how much I hate the yarn.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:36 AM   #7
ella
Ribbing the Cuff

OK, this breaks some rules but it worked for me when I was hypnotised into using Homespun for a baby blanket("Oh, but the color is so perfect!") I tacked loose ends down with sewing thread. That seemed to stay and was also fairly unbotrusive thanks to the fuzziness of the yarn. HTH!
ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
HollyP
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ella
OK, this breaks some rules but it worked for me when I was hypnotised into using Homespun for a baby blanket("Oh, but the color is so perfect!") I tacked loose ends down with sewing thread. That seemed to stay and was also fairly unbotrusive thanks to the fuzziness of the yarn. HTH!
I did the same thing on a baby blanket, it worked great. It is the only blankie my nephew will use without complaining "scwatchy"(Translation this blanket is really scratchy Mom. Can I get the one Auntie Holly knit for me?)
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
quirky
Knitting the Flap

I had posted earlier that I had used homespun alot. That's true enough.
But after my latest project I will never use it again!

I had just gotten 2/3 way through my sweater front and had to add a skein. Despite my careful attention to dye lot at least one of my skeins is darker than the rest. There is a distinct line at the join that custs across my breast!. Trying another skein was not an option as I could not find more in my area.

Oh yes - and the ends. Here I thought any trouble I had had with the ends was due to my own ineptness! I ended up knotting my ends.

"Never EVER give up."
quirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #10
Ruby
Casting On

I think I'll try sewing the ends in first. Thanks for the ideas!