Old 05-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
avenues_
Casting On

Unravelling and correcting - oh, the nerves!
I only recently learned to knit, and after wandering off to a few different projects I'm finally finishing the scarf I first started on. Because I was just learning and didn't really think I'd ever finish it, my first stripe (20 rows) is very, very loose and hole-y. My cast on was pretty crappy as well, so I'm concerned that the looseness of the first row will be a problem if it catches on something.

Basically, what I want to do is unpick that first stripe and knit it again. The thought of this makes me very, very nervous! I assume that I'll need to insert the needle into the 20th row, and then knit it backwards (I was worried that it would mean the sides of the work would get swapped around, but its all knit stitch so it wouldn't be hugely obvious). Is there an easy way to do this? Do I even have the right approach?

I'm so worried I'll unravel it and go too far or drop a whole lot of stitches and spoil the other two feet of scarf that are so perfectly formed!
avenues_ is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

It's difficult to unravel from the bottom. And yes, your stitches will look upside down. How noticibly so depends on the pattern.

However, you can learn to kitchener stitch!

Cast on with fresh yarn in the color of the stripe you are replacing. Knit it to the size of what you want to replace. Leave it on the needle.

Use the other needle to slide it through the stitches of the lowest row of the scarf that you want to keep.

Then kitchener the two pieces together . See video

Once you are happy with the grafting, carefully snip away the original stripe, one row lower than the grafting row Unpick the last row and weave some of it in as a tail.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #3
avenues_
Casting On

Originally Posted by TwoLeftNeedles
It's difficult to unravel from the bottom. And yes, your stitches will look upside down. How noticibly so depends on the pattern.

However, you can learn to kitchener stitch!

Cast on with fresh yarn in the color of the stripe you are replacing. Knit it to the size of what you want to replace. Leave it on the needle.

Use the other needle to slide it through the stitches of the lowest row of the scarf that you want to keep.

Then kitchener the two pieces together . See video

Once you are happy with the grafting, carefully snip away the original stripe, one row lower than the grafting row Unpick the last row and weave some of it in as a tail.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go! Kitchener stitch doesn't seem to be too difficult, once you get the hang of it. Thanks for your help!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 AM   #4
avenues_
Casting On

Actually, can I just ask (it only just occured!) - the yarn on the tapestry needle - is that a new piece altogether? I'm assuming it must be, it wouldn't make sense for it to be attached to either of the pieces being knitted together, but the video doesn't specify!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

No, the yarn on the tapestry needle would be the working yarn from the newly knitted piece (in your case, the first stripe).

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
avenues_
Casting On

Aha! Thanks very much for your help!