Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
newamy
Working the Gusset

Question about picking up stitches
I am making a simple poncho for my daughter. It's the kind where the instructions say to make two rectangles then seam the horizontal edge of one to the end of the verticle edge of the other and then fold it over and seam the other side. I'm knitting it in garter stitch.

Anyway my question is why couldn't I just pick up stitches on the verticle edge of the first rectangle in the section it's supposed to be attached to and knit the second rectangle from there? I would need 45 stitches in a space of 12 inches. Is there any reason not to do this? Would the stitches be as sturdy as seaming it? It seems like if I managed to pick up the stitches correctly (something I would practice first on a a swatch) it would be faster than seaming it later. I would also be left with only one edge to seam. Is there a limit to the number of stiches one should pick up?

Thanks in advance for any input. Amy

I'm newamy on
newamy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Angelia

I can't think of a reason why you couldn't pick up stitches and knit. :thinking: Try it and see!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

I have a much harder time picking up stitches than I do seaming. So maybe most people just find it easier to seam, and that's why the instructions say to do that.

Let us know how it goes!
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote