Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

Inserting pocket...need help
Okay, I am knitting this http://www.knitting-crochet.com/meniricar.html for my dad and am at this part.

POCKET OPENING: Starting at arm edge (the RS I think since the pattern told me to end with a WS row right before this), work 37 sts, Sl last 23 sts just worked onto a holder, work to end of row.

INSERT POCKET: Work to pocket opening, work 23 sts of one pocket lining (I made these earlier in the pattern and they are on stitch holders)onto same needle, work to end of row. Continue in pattern as established on 44(51- 58 ) sts until piece measures 16 (17-17)inches, ending with a wrong Side row.

I am wondering..... what do I do with the 23 st I slipped onto a holder when knitting the pocket opening? I don't see anything later in the pattern to tell me what to do with them....am I just missing it?

Thanks!
-Alison
sunnyreflections is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

All the way at the VERY end of the pattern you find out:
Quote:
POCKETBAND: With right Side facing you, using smaller straight needles, pick up and k 23 sts across pocket opening. K 1, p 1 in ribbing for 1 inch, ending with a right Side row. Bind off as if to k.

Sew pocket bands and pocket linings in place. Finish buttonholes. Sew on buttons.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

I did see that, but that is for the top of the pocket right? I am picking up st from my actual pocket in order to knit the band at the top. The st I have on my second holder (my first holder has the actual pocket on it) are at the bottom of my pocket. I am knitting this sweater from the bottom up.

I saw in one of my other books (I looked at a sweater that had a pouch pocket) that they had you knitting one st from each holder together to form one st. Is that how I am supposed to do this?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

Looking at the picture, and reading the instructions, this is how I interpret it:

You add the ribbing to the top of the pocket. The sides of this will get sewn down. The pocket lining will need to be sewn down on three sides from the back. Clear as mud?

Nicole's Crochet Bistro

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
Old 05-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

I am feeling very confused. Okay, let me see if I understand.

After I am done with the sweater I will go back and pick up 23 st at the top of my pocket and knit the band. Then I will sew down the two sides of the pocket (including the band part of it that I knitted), right?

Then how do I sew in the 23 st that are still on the holder at the bottom of the pocket?

I am so sorry. I just am not understanding well.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
The stitches that are on the holder when you're done are the stitches where you put the pocket edging.

The 23 stitches from the liner that you knitting on are the inside of the pocket--the part closest to the body. So you'll have the pocket liner behind the opening that still is on the holder. Any clearer?

Pocket directions always seem to cause trouble. :rollseyes:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I'll have to see if I can find the pattern for my Homespun sweatercoat. The pockets for that are done fairly similar, and it seems to me that the instructions are a lot clearer...

Nicole's Crochet Bistro

Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
The 23 stitches from the liner that you knitting on are the inside of the pocket--the part closest to the body. So you'll have the pocket liner behind the opening that still is on the holder. Any clearer?
Got it. So I need to have the pocket edging holder (with 23 st) on the RS of the work when knitting the 23 st of the pocket liner? So it is on the front side of the pocket. Then, when all is said and done, what the hell do I do with those sts? How do they get worked in?

I am so terribly sorry that my brain is having SUCH a hard time with this! :crying: Please forgive me for asking so many questions. Nicole if you can find the directions, I would love it!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #9
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Those are the stitches that you do the pocketband on. The directions say to pick up and knit, but I believe that you use the stitches on the holder. Does that make sense with what you have in front of you?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
sunnyreflections
1st Leg of the Journey

Ingrid, here is what I have in front of me.

So, what I think the pattern is telling me is that I knit up to the hole, replace the hole with the sts on the red holder and knit the rest of the row. Then work until it is 17".

Maybe I am just not understanding my "pocket lining"...it is the actual pocket right? I thought I would be picking up the sts from the top of this peice to make the pocketband and attach the sides later. My confusion lies in the sts on the gold holder what do I do with those?[/img]