Old 05-08-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
n0nnahs

Knitting reference books?
I've learned loads from this site, but would like a good ol' book to reference sometimes. OTHER THAN Stitch n' Bitch Nation, can anyone recommend a good knitting reference-type book? One that perhaps shows some different cast-ons, techniques, and general info such as stuff about yarn weights, substitutions, and adjusting patterns, etc.?

Thank you!!

-shannon

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
mulene
Working the Gusset

Knitting Without tears is good.

The knitters Bible is also a strong choice and I can't remember the name of the readers digest book =( gimme 10 mins to open up my wish list on Amazon and I'll tell you what its called =D

Edit: Ok here we go forgive they are UK amazon but if you put in the info of the books into US amazon you'll find them there too

knitting without tears

Knitters Bible

The knitters Handbook

These are all great books. If you are looking for good project books.. you could try something like:

Knit Wit

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
jodstr2
Instepping Out

the first Stitch n Bitch (I assume you haven't seen it since you mentioned only Stitch n Bitch Nation) and Knitting In Plain English are my favorites for basics.
Stitch n Bitch
Knitting In Plain English

books I use often for reference are:
Vogue Knitting
The Knitting Answer Book

on needles:
Noro Striped Scarf
Lacy Ribbed Socks
Monkey 8

jodstr2
jodstr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

I have "Vogue Knitting, the ultimate guide", "Knitting in Plain English", "The Big Book of Knitting", and a few others.

I use the Vogue book the most for basic how to information from knitting stitches, seaming, and more. Knitting in Plain English is the only one I have read cover to cover. It's full of ideas on how to do things... more like talking to a long time knitter. It's full of helpful hints and ideas, and at least when she has a strong opinion (and she has several) she admits it. I don't find myself using the Big book very often.

I love the Barbara Walker stitch pattern books. Has anyone compared these to the new Vogue Stichtionary books? I haven't seen those yet... might want to compare first.

I would like the Kenzel Modern book of Lace knitting volumes 1 & 2, but that has to wait a bit. The best price I have found so far on these is at elann.com (better than Amazon even before the bonus you get when buying yarn).

There are also a variety of books on finishing techniques, resizing or making your own patterns, any of the Elizabeth Zimmerman books that encourage you to enjoy a bit of freedom with your knitting... Maybe someone else can tell more about those or other books I'm forgetting, or give you alternate opinions on the books I have listed.

Edited to add: This is a dangerous thread. We need a warning sign! By time I wrote my post there were two others above me that include a few books I don't have... and of course now I want to check them out!

Mama Bear

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
n0nnahs

Originally Posted by mulene
Knitting Without tears is good.

The knitters Bible is also a strong choice and I can't remember the name of the readers digest book =( gimme 10 mins to open up my wish list on Amazon and I'll tell you what its called =D

Edit: Ok here we go forgive they are UK amazon but if you put in the info of the books into US amazon you'll find them there too

knitting without tears

Knitters Bible

The knitters Handbook

These are all great books. If you are looking for good project books.. you could try something like:

Knit Wit
Thanks for the quick reply! And no problem that they're in AmazonUK as I am also in the UK so it works for me! Hope I can browse some of them at Borders or other bookshops.

-shannon
Old 05-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
n0nnahs

Originally Posted by jodstr2
the first Stitch n Bitch (I assume you haven't seen it since you mentioned only Stitch n Bitch Nation) and Knitting In Plain English are my favorites for basics.
Stitch n Bitch
Knitting In Plain English

books I use often for reference are:
Vogue Knitting
The Knitting Answer Book
Thank you. And I have seen both the SnB books - I just didn't acknowledge both. And I did see the Answer Book before and when I went to buy it, it was gone. Will have another look.

-shannon
Old 05-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
mulene
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by n0nnahs
Thanks for the quick reply! And no problem that they're in AmazonUK as I am also in the UK so it works for me! Hope I can browse some of them at Borders or other bookshops.

-shannon
In that case as you are in the UK... where in the UK are you!?

If you are in London, I can recommend Waterstones in Oxford Street - they do only have a limited selection but I live near Wimbledon and the Wimbledon Waterstones knitting section was TINY! The Ox Street one was much bigger.

I didn't get to borders but I spent hours looking for a place to buy Happy Hooker - the Stitch N Bitch book for crochet. In the end I gave up and went to Amazon UK.

I can also recommend looking for the good housekeeping knitting pocket book - I can't remember the details (I have it at home and am at work right now will look when I get home) I got it from Ebay. It has an illustrated guide to all the different stitches.

Another good thing to look out for is a book of afghan squares - if it is stitches / patterns you want to try out. I found a baby afghan pattern on ebay from Annie's Attic that is made up of 25 squares. I'm looking for a nice wool to make it with, but the different patterns for the squares are what I'm most interested in. They will give me experience with different knitting techniques.

If you ever see a complete Creative Knitting folder (which was from the 80's) I also highly recommend it - it is what taught me to knit originally - was a weekly magazine with one of those "collect it each week and on week 15 get the free folder" type deals. I can't find mine but I did find the same and complete thing in a local charity shop. It was in immaculate condition.

I also bought this 25 bags to knit and I have almost completed the bag on the cover of the book. It looks like a nice bag but I have to say I am rather disappointed with the book / results. The book wasn't that cheap (I got it at 16.99) and the yarns they want you to use are all Rowan - and they are pretty much one of the more expensive yarns available. I have found two errata already and it isn't very helpful in terms of suggesting things like lining the bags. Also a lot of the patterns / styles are just repeats in different colour ways. =/

Edit: and the sampler Afghan I got a pattern for is HERE

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I really enjoy my "Knitting for Dummies" book.

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:53 PM   #9
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
What about that Sweat Workshop ? I just got mine in the mail. I might have bought an old edition; although the samples don't look that trendy, but the basics are the same, I hope.
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
tmsl
1st Leg of the Journey

I second the recommendation for The Knitters Handbook by Montse Stanley. I bought it recently to start the Master Knitting program and was amazed at the information in that book. It covered co, bo, fair isle, intarsia, entrelac, and more.

Laura
tmsl is offline   Reply With Quote