Old 05-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Cascading Leaves Socks w/Sherman heel & toe FO
:D Now that I've finished my MIL's dayflower lace scarf for Mother's Day I decided to cast on for my sister's Cascading Leaves socks. My yarn came in the mail so that I could begin another pair of socks. I'm knitting the lovely cascading leaves (pdf file) 2 @ a time on size 1 addis, using KnitPicks Essential yarn in burgandy (one of my sis's fave colors :D ).
LOL, I will probably do something I rarely do...I will cast on her Mother's Day scarf as soon as my yarn arrives & I will have more than 1 project on the needles...a rarity for me, more common for most of you

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

Last edited by rebecca : 06-14-2007 at 02:53 AM.
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Mama Bear
Turning the Heel

On no Rebecca....

Be careful! First it's one extra project... then before you know it, it's two. Next you need the needles in the first project and you either put that project on a stitch holder or you go buy a second set of that size needles. Eventually if you use stitch holders, you must buy more of those, because you have none left for non UFO use.

It's risky and can be expensive joining those of use who always have too many projects on the needles. We should probably start a multiple WIP's annonymous group. But as we talked about what UFO's we have to each other, we are likely to only want to try what the others talk about, and I'm afraid we would only cast on MORE project.

It's a lost cause!

Enjoy the knitting!

Mama Bear

Enjoy

Knit-Along For A Cause: lucybug.org
Mama Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Gina
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by Mama Bear
On no Rebecca....

... We should probably start a multiple WIP's annonymous group. But as we talked about what UFO's we have to each other, we are likely to only want to try what the others talk about, and I'm afraid we would only cast on MORE project.

It's a lost cause!

I like having more than one WIP. Can't quite explain why - I think I'm in denial
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
SoapDoc
1st Leg of the Journey

Re: Cascading Leaves Socks WIP
Originally Posted by rebecca
LOL, I will probably do something I rarely do...I will cast on her Mother's Day scarf as soon as my yarn arrives & I will have more than 1 project on the needles...a rarity for me, more common for most of you
Welcome to the dark side, my friend! there's no turning back you know!?

LOVE the scarf, Becks! Gorgeous work!! Can't access the socks though :( maybe that's better -- I have about two thousand pair waiting for me as it is...good thing I LOVE knitting them as much as you do
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

LOL, ya'll are too funny :D I've not yet cast on for the 2nd wip...I'm waiting on the yarn to arrive OMGoodness, I can't even imagine how many I would have to have to occupy all of my needles

Okay, I cast on with 2 socks on circs & made a booboo bc I was talking, well, I was still talking when I corrected it & began the ribbing...LOL, I had cast on my usual one sock :D Which is okay, I'm done with the leg & will begin with the short row heel tomorrow a.m.; I think that's all I'm changing in the pattern...thus far, anyway

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:51 PM   #6
loveswildflowers
Knitting the Flap

Rebecca, Your scarf is just gorgeous. I love the ends. Are those leaves worked into the pattern or are they appliqued?

You and Mama Bear are totally cracking me up over the monogamous vs. polygamous knitting.

I have to confess - I am a monogamous knitter too. I can't handle trying to keep up with multiple projects! :-) I need the therapy of seeing one thing thru at a time.
loveswildflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #7
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I'm sorry, I bet the sock pattern file can't be accessed bc it's a membership deal on yahoo or an adobe problem. Anyway, the Cascading Leaves & several other very nice sock patterns @ the yahoo group called Townsendsocksknitalong should anyone want to join I have done this pair of Cascading Leaves before, but the pattern will show up better in these solid colored socks, I think :D

I'm so HAPPY to hear from another monogamous knitter...LOL, i often feel like the only one :D LOL!! I appliqued the leaves on after I finished the scarf for some extra detail

Whimsical Knitting

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #8
Sue Madelin
Knitting the Flap

I'm a monogamous knitter too at heart - although I'm currently suffering severe anxiety attacks because I currently have TWO projects on the needles

I like the simplicity of knowing exactly what I'm knitting and find the impatience to get an article finished so I can go onto the next one helps me to stay focused. I worry that I'll have centuries old UFO if I don't just keep going and get each one done one at a time.

However, having spent about a week knitting in seed stitch with very slippery cotton (making very slow progress! - and having reached the end of ball number 2!) - the pattern said "the back should measure 30cm". Unfortunately when I measured mine it was only 27cm :( I think this is because I'm using a different yarn to that recommended by the pattern and although I did do a tension swatch I think I was a little optimistic about it being exactly right because I was so anxious to use the wool I had bought!

So I frogged the lot and have started again on a bigger size of needles - I did another tension swatch and the length was more accurate on the larger needles so I've got my fingers crossed that when I get back to the point at which the back should measure 30cm it actually will. I think if it is still off I may just give up completely and find another pattern specifically written for my wool!

:XX: :XX: :XX:
Crochet Jumper
Monkey socks from Knitty

Up Next:-
Some socks with my beautiful yarns from Angelia

Recent WIPs:-
Sahara in Tilli Thomas Pure and Simple and Rock Star in colour Hope
My variation on the Anthropologie Capelet
A cabled hand bag for my friend (Still awaiting some bamboo handles!)
Sue Madelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I'm really enjoying my cascading leaves socks. They have been pushed aside temporarily while I work on Lissa's sweater, but I'm hoping to have the first one done by Mother's Day.

I'm still shocked that you are considering having two WIPs at once!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #10
mishka
Ribbing the Cuff

I used to be before my discovery of this forum.

Now I have

Branching Out (a gift for my aunt probably)
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html

Santa (This one is pretty much on hold, but will get him finished for this year)
http://www.country-yarns.com/info.php?id=248

A baby blanket, I'm not using a pattern for this. It will be made up of various squares using the scrunchable scarf stich pattern with a couple showing a teddy bear using a chart.

A Shrug, my own pattern, using an argyle style chart.

An arm warmer using Opal Sock Yarn, but I think this is getting frogged. Not so keen on how it was turning out.

Although once these are finished I think I might have to go back to monogomy, or maybe there is no going back!
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote