Old 05-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

My KoolAid Yarn
As you all know from the TQBFJOTLD thread, I have been in a procrastinating mood :-) This weekend, I decided to try some koolaid dyeing... since I have nothing else to do or knit or plant or study or whatever :rollseyes:

I woound the yarn into hanks, and then soaked them in lukewarm water for 45 minutes (longer than suggested). While they were soaking, I mixed the koolaid in mason jars, because they have measurements on the side of the jar. I first added a splash of vinegar to each jar, even though all of the directions I read said you didn't need it, added the powder, and then added about 6 ounces of hot water for each packet of koolaid. In the pictures below, the large jars all have 24 ounces of liquid with 3 packets of koolaid, and the smaller ones have 1 packet with 8 ounces of liquid EXCEPT for the pink lemonade--that has 2 packets with 16 ounces.

I laid out garbage bags, taped them to the table, taped newspaper on them, then taped more garbage bags on the paper (I didn't want to make a mess). The directions I read all said to wrap the dyed yarn in saran wrap, but I decided to actually wrap it IN a trash bag, which turned out to be a good thing because they didn't drip ONE drop!!!

I poured the colors onto the yarn kind of randomly, and with gloves on, squished the yarn gently so it soaked as much of the koolaid as it could (being careful not to felt the yarn with the hot dye). I wasn't too careful with letting the colors bleed, BUT I did try not to put complementary colors right next to each other (red + green = brown, blue = orange = brown, etc). When it was all done, I rolled it up in the garbage bag, and stuck two rolls at a time in a pyrex dish, and microwaved it for 3 intervals of 2 minutes each.

Then, I carefully removed the boiling hot yarn from the trash bags. For the first skein, I laied it gently in the sink and ran some hot then warm then cool water over it, but with the other 3 I just dunked them alltgogether in coled water and let it soak. The results were the same both ways, so I'm going to stick with the second method because it's quicker.

Then, I folded the hanks in half and gently squeezed out the water, and viola!!! I laid the hanks on the table just for pictures, but really you could just hang them right up. .... I did tye the hanks with contrasting yarn, and i used the loops of the ties to keep the hanks on the hangers.

I will post a swatch as soon as I knit one! I'm so excited

I'm going to try to dye the WHITE (not shite!!!) knitpicks yarn next. i didn't like how the ice blue lemonade turned out, too milky and washed out on this yarn. I'm going to try to find a brighter blue next time. I LOVED the orange and strawberry, though; they definitly look like sunset colors to me (for the May KAL).

Here's the pics!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_001.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	27347  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_002.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	27348  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_003.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	27349  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_005.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	27350  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_009.jpg
Views:	1157
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	27351  

Name:	koolaid_011.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	27352  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_013.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	27353  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_015.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	27354  

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

Here's 2 other pictures of the finished products... that last one is a little fuzzy.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	koolaid_012.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	27355  Click image for larger version

Name:	koolaid_016.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	27356  
Old 05-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Danielle
Working the Gusset

Beautiful yarn! Can't wait to see it all knitted up!!

OTN: nothing :(
Danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
Gorgeous! I love the pink and green together.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Friskums

I like the pink and yellow!

Beautiful job!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
mintdee
Working the Gusset

Thoes are so pretty!

Such a pretty valance

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. Aristotle

OTN:
sweater from hell for TJ
simple socks
mintdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
these came out awesome!!!! i love how self-dyed yarn just looks SO rich, even with kool-aid and food coloring. it really is worth the extra time and how much fun is it?! love it!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #8
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

Kooooool
Great Job Hildie! I am just "dying" to try Kool-Aid. I love the colors you used. I already have all the colors I want I just need to get the yarn. I noticed your disdain for the Knit Picks yarn. Why? I'm asking because I was just about to order a ton of it and if it's cr*p, I won't! By the way thanks for all the pix it's a huge help!

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Those are pretty! I can't wait to see a swatch!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 AM   #10
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
NinaT, i'm sure hildie has her reasons and i look forward to reading them as well, because i haven't ordered a whole ton of a lot from KP myself yet and I am interested to hear. I will say everything I have received I have been thrilled with thus far. However, I do distinctly remember this post from Amy about Wool of the Andes, and I found it absolutely devastating, not only because I was disappointed to discover that about WOTA, but all of Amy's hard work! KP's dye your owns only come in WOTA, lace merino and sock merino, and after seeing that post above, I would be terrified to use WOTA for dying or really anything outside of felting for that matter.

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote