Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
spooky
Knitting the Flap

How do you remember all those directions in a row ?
How do you remember where you are on a row when you have a ton of directions to follow all at once.

For example:
P6 *k2, ssk, yo, K1, yo, K2, P11 ; repear frpm *, P6

and you have to do that several times to the end of the row and you have 36 rows to follow and each one is different?

I usually use a row counter to keep up with where I am and a colored pencil to mark out what I did (if it is complicated like this), but I am unsure how to do it several several times because once I get the 36 rows of the pattern done I will have to do it again and again and again.

Does anyone out there have a trick on how to keep all this straight? I would be very greatful ! I tried stitch markers and still got things a bit out of whack. I was thinking of printing the pattern a bunch of times to keep up with where I was with a colored pencil. What do you think?

I'm not used to having to keep up with so much stuff in one row lol.

Thanks a bunch !!!!
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
horve1
Turning the Heel

I use a post-it sticky note under the row I'm doing, and just keep moving it. That and markers between each repeat. Seems to work pretty well for me. Good luck!
Recent FOs: Earrings; Celtic Cap & Scarf-y; Swatches for TWP; 6 EarFlap Hats; Hand-painted-yarn Sun Spot Stole that decided it wanted to be a Vintage Velvet Scarf; DD's Fuzzy Socks; Shadow Pillow; Aran Pillow; DS's Thuja Socks; Tree of Life Square; Sunny-Flower Square; Ornament; Extreme Knitting 2-in-1 Socks; Single-Needle Scarf Trio; DS's Cardigan; Qiviut Lace Scarf; DD's Daria Belt; DD's Fun Scarf; Mini-Purse from first yarn I spun; BECKA'S LEAVES OF WHIMSY SOCKS W/SWAP YARN FROM BECKA!!!; Knit Bead Bracelet & Earrings; Happy Socks; "Really Cool Socks"; Eagle's Flight Socks; Cabled Fingerless Mitts; Mistake-Rib Socks; Bamboo Mini-Bag; Felted Vase; DD's Basket; Felted Clogs; DS's Sweater; DD's Lacy Stole; Oversize Booga; Crazy Quilt; DS's Backpack.

On needles: A Special Secret Present; Never-Ending Afghan (remainders/reminders from all my projects).
horve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
spooky
Knitting the Flap

I do use a post-it or an envelope, but I still seem to be having trouble with the in-betweens. HEHE Maybe I'm just making it too difficult on myself. Gonna give the pattern a try this afternoon. :D
Old 05-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

For patterns with a lot a rows, I make a pattern book. Using 3 X 5 cards, I number and write out each row on a separate card (or maybe you could copy the pattern, cut out each row, and glue them to the cards if you don't want to do all that writing), punch a hole in the upper left corner of the cards, and put them on a loop of yarn. Then I just flip from card to card in my "book" as I change rows. So that I don't lose my page when I stop, I put a paperclip on that card! Row counters don't always work for me when I have lots of rows; it's easier for me to remember to flip to the next page than it is to turn the counter!

To mark edge stitches, repeats within a row, and anything else I can think of, I am a slave to stitch markers. I call them "angel haloes", since I'm convinced that they've been sent from Heaven to make my knitting easier and more pleasant! Don't give up on them! Let the angel haloes guide you!

Also, it helps to read through the rows and look for similarities. For example, in a 36-row pattern, every even-numbered row may be all purls. Or you may have four identical odd-numbered rows one after the other, or always have a k2tog after a yo. Noticing things like this before you start knitting or as you work through the first few repeats are really helpful.

After awhile, as you begin to recognize series of stitches in your work (usually after a few repeats), it will begin to be easier to tell where you are, even without red pencils, pattern books, and markers!
Denise in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I type a cheat sheet, enlarge the type & use a magnetic board, I place the magnet over the top of the row that I am on & I use a row counter (insurance ), as for the repeats (K1, yo, K1, s1, psso)3 times...I have gotten used to counting them rather quickly. I wish I had a magic "bullet" for an answer, but it seems that each knitter develops her/his own system that works for her/him after a bit of practice

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
spooky
Knitting the Flap

Guess what I found lol ??????

INDEX CARDS

muhahaha !!!

Gonna give that a try 1st and then see if a cheat sheet will work. My method has always been to color things but I don't want to cut down a tree just for this pattern lol.

Thanks a bunch for the advice !!!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Celine
Turning the Heel

I get confused
I get so confused also when trying to follow a difficult pattern. I use the magnetic board and that does help a LOT. But if I try and watch tv and knit on that kind of a pattern...I usually end up losing my place anyway. So I have to stick with the easy patterns for my tv watching.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

I do what Denise does. One row per index card, all cards punched and strung together, paper clip where I stop, and look for the 'rhythm' in the pattern.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Sara
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Sara
You can buy sturdy binders specifically to hold index cards. I got mine at my grocery store, but you can most likely find them at Staples or Office Max. I use them for flash cards at school.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #10
luvmeowers
Ribbing the Cuff

I typed out my pattern (with all repeats) in an excel worksheet. Under each stitch or set of stitches, I have listed the stitch count. I then check off each box as I go (using a pencil!). I also place a marker at the beginning of each repeat and mark that on the sheet as I place it.

This pattern was written as follows:
Row 18: k1,ssk,k18,k2tog,k1* Repeat from * to 88 stitches.
Knit all odd rows
Repeat in pattern to 16 stitches

Before coming up with this worksheet, I spent more time counting and recounting than I did actually knitting!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	picture_4.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	27313  
luvmeowers is offline   Reply With Quote