Old 05-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

Can anyone help me???
I am trying to make the basic sock from silvers totorial using magic loop knitting and I am getting ready to finish my ribbing and then I will need to divide for the heel and I am not sure how can anyone help?
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

You are going to be using your first half of stitches for the heel. I assume you have the stitches evenly divided, half on one needle and half on the other, right? Well if so, all you will do is start knitting (or whatever the directions are for the heel flap) and when you get to the end of the first half of stitches, just turn the whole thing around and begin working back and forth on the heel flap stitches. You can leave the other half of stitches right on the cable where they are. Let me know if you need further ideas.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

Thanks Knitqueen I think I get it !!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

You're welcome. Let me know if you have further questions. I actually really like socks on magic loop, especially where the heel is involved. It just seems to work so smoothly to me, even with the picking up of stitches.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #5
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

yeah I noticed that it has been a lot easier on my fingers sometimes the ribbing especially gets to me but it has gone smoother with magic loop.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

Ok I have my turned heel and I am ready to start picking up stitches I am not sure how though
Old 05-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Okay, so you've turned the heel and now have your small # of stitches left, right? Did you work a WS row last? If so, you're ready to start picking up stitches, if not, work one more WS row.

Continue with the SAME needle that your stitches are currently on, and pu along the edge immediately next to where your working yarn is, however many stitches your pattern specifies. Now you should be up to the other stitches that have been on hold up to this point. Now you will do what you do to start any round of magic loop knitting - get those 'on hold' stitches up to the tip of one end of your circular needle and use the other needle tip (the one you have just been using to pick up stitches) to work across these 'instep' stitches. Now you will continue on with the same needle, the one that has all those stitches that you just worked on it and pick up stitches along the other heel flap edge. You will then likely need to work across half of the stitches that you had left from when you turned the heel (your pattern should specify this) and this will be your new beginning of the round.

Now you will probably need to re-distribute your stitches so they are evenly divided on the two needles with the new beginning of the round stitch as the first stitch on the needle closest to you.

Does this help? Oh, and don't forget to place markers before the first stitch of the instep stitches and after the last stitch of the instep stitches. This is how you will know where to do the gusset decreases.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #8
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

Thanks I think I get it!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

ok Knitqueen I screwed up my cable is not long enough at all and I had to frog it :crying: but that inspired me to purchase my first Addi turbos so I will be making my 2nd attempt as soon as they arrive!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

What length were you working with?