Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
earthchick
Turning the Heel

talk to me about shawls
This is my first post in awhile - I went out of town for 10 days and while I was gone dh ended up in the hospital and life has been nuts pretty much ever since. Not so nuts that I haven't been able to knit :XX: . But too nuts to post.

Anyway. I want to talk about shawls. I'm actually obsessed with shawls. I'm making all kinds of plans for knitting different wraps and shawls. But before I just go crazy buying yarn, I want to hear from other shawl-knitters.

In November, I'm going to spend 11 days in Italy. I'm trying to be a minimalist packer for once in my life. I've decided to bring only a few basic outfits (mix-and-match, of course) that I can then spruce up with various accessories, esp. scarves and shawls. I figure with 6 months before the trip, I should be able to get 2 or 3 done in addition to my other knitting.

I've only ever knit one shawl before, a simple long rectangular prayer shawl that I gave to my SIL. I've never actually worn a shawl myself.

So here are my questions for those of you who knit shawls:
1 - Do you actually wear the ones you knit?

2 - How do you wear them? (any pictures or links of how to wear them would be appreciated)

3 - What is your favorite style to knit - triangle, rectangle, circle?

4 - How do you wear a circle shawl? Do you have to fold it over somehow?

5 - I want at least one of the shawls I do to be a true lace pattern. Any advice for a beginner lace knitter? Any book recs?

6 - What's your favorite yarn for a lace shawl?

I think that's all my questions for now. Would love to have any other tips or pics as well.

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

OK--honey I hope your dh is doing ok! What a nightmare!!

I'm trying to do the Trellis scarf which is in Interweave Knits, I believe--the last issue. It's also the Estonian or something like that pattern , and I saw where KellyK was working on that last year. I never heard whether she finished it or not, but I imagine she did. Anyway, I guess my mind has turned to turtle soup, because this pattern is kicking my butt!! I'm using stitch markers, a row counter, and I STILL have to Un-knit a row every once in awhile!!

This is just a practice one that I'm trying to do a few repeats on to see how it looks, and it's really lovely. I have about 700 yds. of Mohair and I think I'll use that for the "real one". it's for my mom, but I definitely would wear one in the evenings, and I think I'd prefer the "stole" type, but it would just depend on the pattern and yarn I guess. I'm on a budget as far as yarns so I'll just have to wait and see if I knit anymore, but I'll let you know how this one turns out!!

I'm uploading just what I've done so far on the Trellis, and it's in a worsted acrylic, but I love the pattern--it's the first lace I've ever done in knit--I used to do croheted lace all the time, but it was in lace trim for pillowcases, etc.

Hope your dh is home and better now!!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	trellis.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	27518  

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 PM   #3
Cristy
Instepping Out

earthchick...that was so many questions it made my head hurt! LOL! Here's what I can add...I've only done rectanglar shawls although I looked through the "A Knitter's Dozen: Shawls" book tonight at the local book store and found that it had a few that were awesome. None of them were extremely difficult...I was kind of surprised at how many books on shawls that my bookstore had--I don't consider their knitting book section to be stellar but there were quite a few shawl pattern books or books with various patterns that included several nice shawls. I don't wear the ones I've made--they've all been gifts but the recipients all wear them when the weather permits and my grandmother wears one of hers in church quite a bit. I don't have a favorite yarn for shawls...I've used many different weights...I find that the patterns vary from dk to worsted mostly though. Ponchos are nice too...I've seen several patterns around for ponchos that I like as well. For a true lace pattern...look at KPC..there are quite a few and I LOVE Cozy, a pattern on knitty. I can't answer all of your questions, but hopefully this will help a little![/url]

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I sure hope your hubby is okay!!
Now, as for shawls, I have several on my to do list, with yarn in tow...I just took a break from large projects. I love, love Fibertrends' shawls I have the Leaf Lace & Flower Basket patterns. I'm also going to knit the lovely 15 ruffles wrap in Lamb's Pride. Oh, and the newest on my list would be Lady Eleanor stole in Noro Silk Garden (I think). Now, I have my list of shawls & yarn, but I've not yet knit them. Will I wear them, oh yes, & love it

Oh yeah, I just heard today that the things knitters seem to be knitting most are shawls & socks

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
javede
Knitting the Flap

I too hope your dh is ok now.

I've knitted a bunch of shawls-rectangular, triangular and one circular though that one is still not finished(the border is missing!).
Truth is I only wore the triangular one once at christmas. I love to knit them, but when it comes to wearing them there's always a reason not to. I can't really wear the lace ones to campus when I have a big bag with me and have to go by public transportation. I mean, do I wear the shawl over the bag straps or under? neither seems convenient. And if I go shopping, I have to change clothes and well....
But I plan on knitting some more plain rectangular shawls for fall and adjust my wardrobe.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
earthchick
Turning the Heel

See, that's what I'm afraid of - that I'll spend all this time making shawls only to have them end up folded in a drawer somewhere for the rest of my life. I have been admiring Cozy forever and think it is the one I want to do first; it looks so beautiful in the pictures. But will I really wear it? I don't know. And the really intricate ones, the ones that are really lacy (like the Fiber Trends ones, which are gorgeous, thanks for the link Rebecca!) - will I wear one of those? Not sure.... I also really like some of Sivia Harding's shawls. I don't know if I have it in me to do such complicated lace, but if I do, I dang sure better end up wearing it!

javede, did you like making the circular shawl? Did you knit it from the middle? And how would you wear a circular shawl? Doubled over into more of a wedge?

Sorry all the questions. I've been thinking about this for awhile and kind of saved up a bunch of questions. Thanks for the kind words about my dh. He is home now but still recuperating and will be for awhile. It's a tad stressful, so I'm really glad I have knitting to help me unwind!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
kimono7
Casting On

Have you seen this one? I don't see myself as a big shawl person, but I've already got my yarn for this.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html
kimono7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
candicane
Working the Gusset

I also find shawls difficult to wear. I think they can look nice with certain outfits, but they fall off my shoulders and I am constantly readjusting. Carrying a shoulder bag while wearing a shawl is hard and I think it kind of looks bad. I do keep a pashmina-type shawl in my carry-on bag, because I can use it as a blanket on the plane. It is a thin cashmere and takes up very little space. I think airplane blankets are just too icky.

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
earthchick
Turning the Heel

I hadn't even thought about the issue of trying to wear one with a shoulder bag. I could see how that would be tricky and wouldn't look particularly good.

I saw a picture of someone wearing one tied around the waist, over a black dress - I think I could see myself doing that (with a triangle one or a circle folded over).

One thing about the rectangular ones is that it seems like they would be a pain to keep on, unless you somehow pinned it. I've seen a few women wearing them wrapped around back and then draped over each arms. I can see doing that for a dressy event but not for just rambling around town....

kimono, I know that Clapotis is wildly popular, and it does look fun to make and beautiful, but I have yet to catch the Clapotis love. Something about it makes me think I'd be even less likely to wear it than the other wraps I've looked at. Not sure why. :thinking:

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 05-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #10
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I didn't like the clappie, either, then I saw them everywhere, I went back & forth to Knitty countless times looking it over & finally decided to knit one in Karaoke, I then did the hat & fingerless gloves & I LOVE it! Wore it all winter, too
I thouight the same thing about shawls falling off because the ones I have no fall off & that's bc the ones that I have are a bit slick & thin, so I'm knitting my shawls on sport - worsted wt yarns & wide so that they won't have such a tendency to fall off. I love, love the look of the very lightwt. & beautiful lacy shawls, but I would never wear them, myself. Oh, there are also very lovely shawl pins around, too, these will hold a shawl in place nicely on a lovely evening out, in church, on the way to work, etc
I have a friend, Mari, that knits beautiful shawls, u can have a look @ them on her blog.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote