Old 05-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Red Heart no dye lot yarn
Has anyone else used this? I just got done with a kid's sweater I made with the "Amethyst", and found that this yarn should, actually, come with dye lots. One side is a rich, deep purple, and the side where I had to attach a second ball of yarn is more of a deep plum shade - it has a bit of a reddish cast to it.

Since this is for a kid, and I mainly made it for her to wear to football games (purple is one of the school colors) to keep warm, I'm not going to get all psycho about it. (Besides that, I made a couple of boo-boos in the pattern, but they aren't huge, so I'm letting them go, too - but am definitely learning from them! LOL!!) I did want to say something, though, in case someone was going to use it in a project where it would make a big difference. (I know most of you guys are good enough that you don't mess with the cheap yarn, but I haven't got the confidence to be messing with $5 and $6 yarn yet, and thought there might be some other newbies in the same boat)

The real trick is, it's not noticeable under flourescent lighting. Of course, most stores have flourescent lighting, so you probably wouldn't notice it until you got it under incandescent lighting. I don't know how much it will show up in the sunlight.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else had run into this, and maybe give people a "heads up".
miccisue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-13-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
cookworm
Working the Gusset

While I haven't used that specific brand of "no dye lot" yarn, yes, I've had that happen too...it's very discouraging. I try really hard to make sure I buy enough yarn for the project at the same store on the same day, and I try to examine the skeins as best as I can under direct lighting if possible. The "no dye lot" yarns have a lot of variation between them I've noticed, even looking at them on the shelf. Hopefully the variations in the finished sweater won't be too noticeable, and maybe after a few washings they'll even out.
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
Katheros
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Katheros Send a message via Yahoo to Katheros
I've noticed that all 'no dye lot' yarn always has a dye lot number on it anyway so I've always still bought the same lot number.
Katheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
miccisue
Turning the Heel

Not to contradict you, but I did compare the coding on the wrapper (where the dye lot normally was), and both had the same number. They still didn't match.

In fact, last night I was picking up some stuff and glanced at the Light and Lofty (also advertised as "no dye lot") I picked up 2 skeins, and one was obviously had more of the color woven through, and it was darker. I'm guessing they had 2 different shipments in the same bin. All numbers matched.

This isn't a problem if you pick up the skeins at the same time and the difference is that obvious (with the purple, it definitely wasn't until I got it out from under flourescent lighting). But, it just so happened that I had picked these skeins up a while back when planning to make a stadium blanket that I never got started on. They ran out once, so I picked some up the next time they had it in. The stadium blanket is still waiting to be made, but I did swipe two of the skeins to make the sweater.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
miccisue
Turning the Heel

If you have had problems with this yarn, call Red Heart customer service at (800)648-1479.

Apparently their supplier has gone bankrupt and they haven't found anyone else that has been able to match their colors.

The lady I talked to was very nice, and while she said she couldn't replace my time or my project, they could replace the yarn. I don't know whether I will actually get yarn or will get a voucher to take and get replacement yarn, but either way it's worth a shot. I can always use the yarn to either make a replacement, or a different project.

Anyway, if you've had problems, give them a call. It could be well worth the time (and the number is toll-free).