Old 05-15-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Rayski
Casting On

Knitting Bags
What do you use for a knitting bag? If you have a *real* knitting bag, is it REALLY wonderful? Would you buy it again? If you are lusting after a particular bag, why? What makes it so wonderful?

Ray, who only has two projects in process and uses handled plastic bags -- one from the knitting store and one from the quilting store -- but is wondering if she *NEEDS* a REAL knitting bag.
Rayski is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-15-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I always have knitting with me and I don't have a 'real' knitting bag. I just throw what I need for that particular project in a little canvas tote that I got at Michael's for a few dollars--the kind they sell in bulk for adding appliques to. Works great for me.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Anniknits
Casting On

I don't take mhy knitting out with me very often. And at home I've got a large gift bag (stiff cardboard one) that I keep next to my chair to store my current projects, patterns and a selection ofneedles and other stuff in. It's great because the needles can't make a hole in it. Planning to knit my own project bags though. :XX:
Old 05-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #4
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i have more of a need for bags in general than knitting bags specifically! :rollseyes:

I love my current bag because it is just so pretty. it really isn't big enough for the projects i carry around AND all the other stuff i carry but i don't care...it is gorgeous...lol. (mine is the one on the right...and it has satin-y purple lining! )

i have the Jordana Paige messenger bag and got bored with it but it is great for its size and number of pockets. i am sure i will go back to it sometime (or at least that is what i am telling myself...lol)

and i am having one of these made in a lime green and raspberry polka dot fabric. waiting rather impatiently for that one i might add!

yeah i have a problem....*sigh*
Old 05-15-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

I don't have a *real* knitting bag, but I intend on either sewing one out of some cool yarn print fabric I found, or knitting one and using the fabric for a liner. I have three different totes that I will use for carrying WIPs, one is a crocheted tote out of chunky yarn, another is my felted HBC Booger bag, or my Payless Shoes canvas tote. I will usually use one of those for back and forth to work since it will hold my coffee cup and water bottle as well as whichever WIP I'm lugging along that night, I don't take my purse to work. I bought myself a new purse {why??? I don't use one 99% of the time!} this spring, and I made sure that it had enough room for my *very* few essentials, as well as a ball of sock yarn and a sock in progress!!

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

I have had two of each of these for several years and love them! I bought the small "sack" first, then the large "pack", then another large one, then another small one!

http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/knit_knack_sack.htm

http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/knit_knack_pack.htm

I've knit, crocheted, embroidered, needlepointed, cross-stitched, or sewed all my life (age 50 is in my headlights now!) and have probably had at least two dozen other totes over the years. A project goes with me wherever I go. For knitting and crocheting, these have been the absolute best I've ever used. They meet my needs for convenience, portability, durability, and ease of use.

It's impossible to rate these too highly!
Denise in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

here's mine
I got mine on ebay (see pic below). I really like it as an all-purpose medium-sized knitting bag. It holds multiple projects and the four inside pockets make it easy for my to locate and organize everything. The only thing I would improve? Maybe a quilted liner and/or flat bottom. For smaller projects on the go, I use the cheap canvas bags from Michael's like Ingrid. Those are perfect for a cross stitch project. I've got several of those and in different sizes!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knitting_bag_441.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	27605  

OTN: Henley Perfected, Fifi
Jackie F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Celine
Turning the Heel

I love bags!!
I recently made a big tote knitting bag ouf of some Noro yarn. I LOVE it. It has the wooden handles. I've been using that one lately.

Then I have a bag that stands up on its own which I like and its sort of a stiff fabric. I like that one also. :XX: :XX:
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
I use this Rigger bag to hold my Supplies
http://www.right-tool.com/canrigbag.html

and I use this Knit Knack Sack to hold Specific progects
http://www.halcyonyarn.com/odds_ends...sory_bags.html

I also use the Mini Canvass bags to hold my Goddess collection
it holds the Bag of pieces that need to be Attached, as well as 2 Balls of yarn and all my DPNs
There is room for my small baskets I leave with the display at the stores that try to carry them for me

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
how much longer brendajos? I'm still in shock you haven't bought one for the in between time :rofling:

I use the go knit pouch
http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/itemi...s_display.aspx
its small and no pockets.. but great for going to the dr office or to grab real fast.. also while driving to WV its great to work with cause it doesn't take up my feet space.. I have burgandy color

I then have the knitter's tote its great for packing my knitting up for WV.. cause I never can decide what I will knit once I get there...

I also have artbin backpack but I use the straps for shoulder.. this is my going to class bag and around the house... the front holds all my dpns, straights, crochet hook, and interchangeable sets.. the side cd player holds my scissors, gauge, stitchmarkers, and tape measure... the mesh holds water or snacks for kids...

I would love to get this bag to use as a purse/knitting bag its on my dream list

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote