Old 05-16-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
wandawoman3
Ribbing the Cuff

Baby/toddler Poncho
How many stitches do cast on for a almost 4 yr old? (petit 4 yr old)

I'm very new to knitting and my little girl wants a poncho.

Thank you.
Wanda
wandawoman3 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
bethie
Ribbing the Cuff

welcome, i am new here as well.

I do know part of the answer to your question. How many stitches to cast on depends on what size needles you are using as different size needles are going to give you a different gauge, i.e. different amount of stitches per inch.

what size needles are you using?

also what kind of yarn did you buy? The yarn label should have the recommended needle size to use as well as the gauge.

You can figure out how many inches long you want your poncho (i.e. 36 inches) to be and use the guage to help you cast on your stitches...
bethie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
wandawoman3
Ribbing the Cuff

I have size 9 needles. I haven't worked with any other size yet. But I have size 11 and 13. So if I knit on the biger needles does it make it faster work? Told you I was new. I just learned to purl last week.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
wandawoman3
Ribbing the Cuff

Sorry, I didn't finish answering your questions. I bought Caron one pound. And I don't know how to do a gauge.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
bethie
Ribbing the Cuff

Hopefully a more experienced knitter will step in and answer your questions as I am a very eager learner but have only been knitting for a month or so and just finished my first projects that were given to my mom and mother-in-law for mother's day...

Size 9 needles are good. Yes, larger size needles will get your project done quicker because bigger needles yield bigger stitches (more stitches per inch)

However, you said you have a petite 4 year old. You might not want a poncho that has big chunky stitches as it might not look quite right on her tiny frame. Size 9 needles would be good.

Regarding your 1 lb of Caron, on the yarn label the gauge should be provided for you. Most yarn labels will have like an box with needles in it that says the recommended needle size and guage of x stitches per 4 inches. Or instead of a picture, it might just be written.

You need to find the gauge and needle recommendation on your yarn label. It can be very challenging to knit thicker yarns on smaller needles. I did this and the project took much longer because my yarn was a bit too tight and it was difficult to maneuver the needle (the project looks great though1) You also could get big loopy holes if you knit a thin yarn on very thick needles. To me it is best when you are knitting the yarn on the appropriate needles. Then the tension is perfect.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
wandawoman3
Ribbing the Cuff

Bethie,
Thank you. This makes sense now. I will look on my lable. The only things I have finished is two baby bibs that is on the home page of this site. I did them with the same kind of yarn but in different colors. And the 9 needles worked well with it. That's why I was hoping I could still use the 9 needles, they are comfortable for me. But I guess I will need to venture out and use something different someday. Thanks for all your help.
Wanda
Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
bethie
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by wandawoman3
Bethie,
Thank you. This makes sense now. I will look on my lable. The only things I have finished is two baby bibs that is on the home page of this site. I did them with the same kind of yarn but in different colors. And the 9 needles worked well with it. That's why I was hoping I could still use the 9 needles, they are comfortable for me. But I guess I will need to venture out and use something different someday. Thanks for all your help.
Wanda
No problem, once you check the gauge on your label, I *think* you could do this:
Find how how many inches you want to make the poncho (i.e. 36")
Divide by the INCHES gauge given (15 stitches = 4 inches)

Then you would get 9

Then you would take the 9 and multiply it by 15 STITCHES to find out how many stitches to cast on = 135

I do not know for sure if this is right. Please let another more experienced knitter post a reply, too.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
wandawoman3
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh my, I didn't know all this. I haven't taken a class. My SIL knows how to knit stitch and she showed me how. I learned to purl for a video on a CD rom I bought and this site helped a lot too. I think I may be over my head. So is this a formula? I will take advise from anyone who want's to jump in. How did you learn to knit?

Wanda
Old 05-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
bethie
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by wandawoman3
Oh my, I didn't know all this. I haven't taken a class. My SIL knows how to knit stitch and she showed me how. I learned to purl for a video on a CD rom I bought and this site helped a lot too. I think I may be over my head. So is this a formula? I will take advise from anyone who want's to jump in. How did you learn to knit?

Wanda
I haven't taken any classes either.

I learned to knit from the Klutz Knitting Book. You know, those kid kits for arts n' crafts. The book actually was great and had tons of great close up pictures. It came with size 8 needles, a tapastry needle, a crochet hook, and a couple of buttons, and some varigated blue acrylic yarn.

I was able to cast one but when I tried to knit somehow I ended up with double the stitches so a co-worker helped me do the knit stitch and I learned the purl stitch (after much much much practice) from the video on this site I was surprised that only 1 person on my staff knew how to knit. I guess I figured since my mom and grandma knit that everyone else did too. I never asked my mom to teach me to knit but I don't remember my mom knitting tons, but she did make baby blankets for friends and co-workers.

I have no idea if my formula is right. I teach math, so it just seemed to make sense to me. But perhaps I am a bad math teacher if someone corrects me and tells me my "formula" is crazy

Another very very very fabulous book I have is, 'how to teach yourself to knit visually.' After flipping through so many instructional knitting books I felt this was the best one that goes from beginner instruction to intermediate instruction. Excellent explanations and tons and tons of pictures of real hands holding yarn and stuff. the back of the book also has some patterns orgazined by beginner and intermediate projects.

The book that inspired me to begin knitting as a hobby/passion was 'the yarn harlot' by stephanie mcphee. I wasn't even a knitter yet but I kept seeing that book everywhere I went so I finally picked it up and by the time I had finished it I had bought the Klutz Kit and some yucky acryclic yarn at Michael's. (I hadn't discovered my amazing local yarn store yet)

Ah, so that is the story. I haven't knitted in several days but I am content that I know how. I am fixing to knit a pillow cover for my dogchild Benjamin. It will be a birthday present
Old 05-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The math is right, though I usually look at stitches per inch vs. per four inches--I'm NOT a math teacher. :rofling:

If you know the width you want to make your poncho, and you know how many stitches per inch you get with your yarn and needes by knitting a swatch, then you can multiply inches by stitches per inch and find out how many to cast on.

If you'd like to find a pattern, though, www.knittingpatterncentral.com has tons of free patterns and you might find an easy poncho that has all the math and shaping figured in for you.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote