Old 05-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
slludwig
Casting On

Help with scallop trim pattern
I'm a beginning knitter and I'm trying to follow a pattern that calls for a scallop trim. I think I'm messing up the part that calls for (yfwd) twice. Here are the pattern instructions for the first 3 rows of the scallop trim:

Cast on 90 stitches
Row 1: (WS), Purl.
Row 2: K2, *K1, slip this st back onto left needle and lift next 8 sts on left needle over this st and off needle, (yfwd) twice, K st on left needle again, K2; rep from * to end.
Row 3: K1, *P2tog, (K1, K1 tbl) twice into double yfwrd of previous row, P1; rep from * to last st, K1

According to the pattern I should have 50 stitches at this point. I only had 43 stitches.

These are my questions:
Does yarn forward just mean to move the yarn forward as if to purl but then actually knit the stitch? Why is yfwd in parantheses?
What does it mean to "K st on left needle again" in Row 2? Does it just mean to knit the next stitch? If so, why doesn't it just say K3?
In Row 3 why is K1, K1 tbl in parantheses? I may be messing up that part too....

Please help me!! Thanks!
slludwig is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think in this pattern the yarn forward twice instruction is meant to be the same as a double yarn over. I think this is the case because they refer to it in the next row as a double yarn forward. You need to end up with two yo stitches in order to do the next row. You knit into the front and back loops of each of these stitches. This is probably why you have too few stitches.

As for the 'knit this stitch again,' it's probably to avoid someone asking, Should I knit that stitch I already knit or what?" It's just a way to make it a bit clearer which stitches you should be knitting.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 AM   #3
scubagirl1966
Casting On

Re: Help with scallop trim pattern
>>Does yarn forward just mean to move the yarn forward as if to purl but then actually knit the stitch?

Yes - it creates an extra stitch

>> Why is yfwd in parantheses?

Becuase they are telling you to do the Yfwd TWICE - I suspect this is where you lost you stitched

>>What does it mean to "K st on left needle again" in Row 2? Does it just mean to knit the next stitch? If so, why doesn't it just say K3?

You knit a stitch - which passes it to the right needle - they then tell you to move it back to the left needle and pass the next 8 stitches over the one you just knitted THEN you knit that one stitch again

>In Row 3 why is K1, K1 tbl in parantheses?

Because you have to do that twice also once for each of the yfwds you did in the previous row

Hope that helps you !
scubagirl1966 is offline   Reply With Quote