Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
KatyKoolkat
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to KatyKoolkat
OK, so i am looking at what I posted earlier, and I realized it sounds so DUMB! I could have saved myself so much grief if i wouldh ave just said ditto!!

Ah, well, that's life, I suppose.
KatyKoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-20-2006, 02:14 AM   #12
coffeydl
Casting On

cottage knitting
ok..now this is getting interesting.
I think that we are getting closer to what I've heard so much about.
i know that it involves holding the one needle close to your body and holding it still and doing most of the work with the other needle.

Here is a link to ponder.
Check out the way the lady is holding her needle and the curious contraption with which she's knitting....would love to see this in action.
http://www.daelnet.co.uk/features/knitting/history3.htm

any thoughts??
David
coffeydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:47 AM   #13
coffeydl
Casting On

EUREKA
I found it.
it's called LEVER knitting...and here's the url...it's not irish after all but rather scottish or cornish..this is wonderous strange.

www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/leverstyle.shtm
coffeydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
ah, so it sounds like slightly modified english knitting.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #15
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
Re: EUREKA
Originally Posted by coffeydl
I found it.
it's called LEVER knitting...and here's the url...it's not irish after all but rather scottish or cornish..this is wonderous strange.

www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/leverstyle.shtm
But the link shows the lady holds the yarn on her right hand
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
Angelia

*bump*

:thinking:

Anyone find anything else on this?

I've seen knitters use the lever method on Knitty Gritty, some even holding the yarn in the left hand (the motion ends up being the same in a strange sort of way). I tried for an hour to figure it out--rewinding, pausing, etc. as I tried to mimic the movement--but just couldn't do it. I know I'm missing something...

My knitting is painfully slow--I'd really like to figure this out!
Old 05-25-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

OK, this may sound crazy but...
I just finished watching Primetime about the first person with a face transplant. First segment of the show, she was knitting just like you guys are describing. I kept rewinding trying to get a better idea of how she was doing it. Basically, there was a needle under her arm that was stationary and she moved the other needle and wrapped her yarn around.

Too funny that the knitting that caught my attention, not that the lady was missing 1/2 her face. I later got into the actual transplant part, probably because there wasn't anymore knitting to distract me.
projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #18
Angelia

That shouldn't be funny, but it is...only a knitter would watch tv like that! :rofling: I had to rewind 10 minutes of a Miss Marple mystery yesterday for the same reason. I was trying to figure out how she was knitting (she was flying with those needles!) and completely missed the dialogue! Actually, it happened twice. The third time, I dropped my head and just listened...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
smoqui
Casting On

Irish Cottage Knitting
Originally Posted by coffeydl View Post
Does anyone know of a website or book that demonstrates the technique of Irish cottage knitting also known as irish production knitting? It is a very fast knitting technique.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
David. :XX:
I should have read thru this before I posted. I am about six years late to the party. The offer still stands, I can and will teach Irish Cottage style.

The only other thing I would mention is that yes, when knitting on straight needles, Stephanie Pearl McPhee does indeed do "pit" knitting in which the working needle is held under her right arm, freeing up her right hands to form stitches, tension yarn, etc. It gets to become "Irish Cottage Knitting" when you add in the special tensioning method she teaches to feed the yarn into new stitches with the ring finger on her right hand--leaving her "smart" fingers free for other jobs, like knitting cable stitches without a cable needle, etc. And, it become more like Yorkshire knitting of the Dales region of England when you add a knitting sheath and knit English Lever style. Then you add in the sped up version called swaving, and you've got some pretty darned fast knitting going on. But looking through these posts, I have to say, oh, for Pete's sake. No one, no way, ever knit 2000 stitches per minute. I have heard and seen written reference to the Terrible Knitters of Dent knitting at somewhere around 200 stitches per minute, but since the current world champ knits only about 160 stitches in a three minute timing speed test, I think there was either a very serious miscount of stitches, or the watch or clock used for timing was very badly damaged. I have been knitting these styles for nearly 60 years, and the best I can manage is about 70 stitches per minute. This works out for me to be about half a crew sock a night while watching TV. If I make a short ribbed cuff and the rest of the sock in stockinette, I could probably crank out a whole sock a night, but I like to wear crew socks with long ribbed cuffs, and ribbing just takes longer, no matter what technique you knit it with.
smoqui is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoqui For This Useful Post:
InterNette (09-03-2012), salmonmac (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
salmonmac
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,349 Times in 3,033 Posts
Late or not, your informative comments are welcome.
salmonmac is offline   Reply With Quote