Old 05-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
Sue Madelin
Knitting the Flap

Do you use a Blocking Board?
Does anyone use a blocking board for blocking their knitting and if so what type is it and where did you get it?

I am a fairly new knitter and so far have only made a few scarves and three tops. I just blocked them by steaming them on the ironing board but now that I'm getting really into my knitting I'm wondering whether or not to invest in a blocking board.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks
Sue
Crochet Jumper
Monkey socks from Knitty

Up Next:-
Some socks with my beautiful yarns from Angelia

Recent WIPs:-
Sahara in Tilli Thomas Pure and Simple and Rock Star in colour Hope
My variation on the Anthropologie Capelet
A cabled hand bag for my friend (Still awaiting some bamboo handles!)
Sue Madelin is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-22-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
I know blocking boards have all the measurements and stuff, but I just use our spare bedroom bed and a tape measure. I've also done it on towels I put on top of carpet.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I'm new to knitting too and didn't want to spend a lot on blocking. Ingrid gave me a great tip - and it worked PERFECTLY on the last shawl I made.

I washed the item, laied it out on towels on my carpet and put blocking pins through the towels, into the carpet to hold the item in place. I let it dry for a few days and it was perfect!

My only problem with blocking boards is the size - the shawl was 67" long and I doubt I could find a board that big. The towels are the perfect solution! The only investment was the rust proof blocking pins.

Good Luck!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
suecq
1st Leg of the Journey

I use foam tiles. The primary color ones you can put on the floor in a play area. They are 1 sq. foot and can be arranged according to the needed size. When not in use they store compactly.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
cozy
Knitting the Flap

I invested in one, although I agree it's not a complete necessity. The largest item I've blocked is a shawl & the board wasn't long enough for that--I had to block it in 2 parts. I plan to knit more sweaters so it'll be nice to have because it has the markings on it. Still, I know plenty of knitters get by without one.

Knitting Addict since November '03
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #6
mulene
Working the Gusset

I've not seen an actual blocking board. I've seen the instructions to make one using a specific kind of board - here in the UK that board is called Pinnacle Board. The instructions said cover it with some check fabric (to use as guides - 1" checks work well) and use that.

Now I've yet to actually make something that needs blocking - I'm on sock mania at the moment - but a project I do have on the go right now will need blocking.

I like the carpet / towels idea and I also like the play blocks in primary colours idea - good for stacking out of the way when not in use.

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote