Old 05-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Hey Sean - glad you're joining us! Your Amazing Lace challenge post was awesome. [p.s. so cool to see the savedarfur link in your sig line here]

Kristen, glad to hear your yarn is on its way. I'm sure I'll be checking tracking obsessively soon!

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-27-2006, 11:35 PM   #12
Robin R
Ribbing the Cuff

Stacey, the Cozy that you are going to make is simply gorgeous! I look forward to seeing the progress you all make. How long does it usually take to make something like this?
Robin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Robin - the length of time it takes to knit something like this depends on how quickly you knit and how much time you have to knit! I started mine mid-April and finished May 12th. Part of that time was me trying to figure out the pattern and swatching it. I'd say probably between 30 - 50 hours would be a good guess. It is a great first lace pattern to start with and the finished product is beautiful!

Here is a picture of mine (well, the one I gave as a gift) - the stitch detail in the second one gives you a better idea of the pattern than the knitty one does (even though the color washed out in the photo).

sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #14
Robin R
Ribbing the Cuff

Oh, Sara, it's lovely! Wow - I hope I can learn intricate stitches like that eventually.
Robin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
thanks, Stacey! I'm having a lot of fun with AL already, now just have to try to knit it some more.

I deliberately avoid all forms of the news so I had no idea about Darfur until shopping for knitting stickers at CafePress, ironically enough. It's just devastating. :(

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #16
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Originally Posted by Robin R
Oh, Sara, it's lovely! Wow - I hope I can learn intricate stitches like that eventually.
Actually, Robin, there is nothing intricate about it - just a series of K, K2tog, yo and slips....not in that order of course It is all in the simplicity of the pattern!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #17
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Woo hoo, guess who just showed up? Mr. Brown with my box of Pima Silk!

I have no idea when I'll be able to cast on, but I'll wait for you, Stacey! I haven't even looked that closely to see what size needle it takes. I may even go up a size for a more open and lacey effect since it's going to Florida.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 AM   #18
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I love yarn deliveries!!!!

The pattern uses US 8 needles. My pattern didn't show the lace effect at all when I started. I blocked it VERY hard and the lace pattern finally showed (I used a mainly cotton based yarn). Going up a needle size would be a great idea if you want it more lacy.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #19
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Yay, Kristen! Dontcha just love those boys in brown?

My mailing news ain't so great. :( I double-checked my Herrschner's order page tonight and it says my yarn is BACKORDERED! I'm in shock. The site didn't say anything like that when I bought it. And they haven't sent me an email saying that. I'm going to email customer service tomorrow and ask about it. But I am so bummed out. :rollseyes: I really wanted to get it in time to photograph it for the first Amazing Lace challenge (deadline Sunday) and also to enjoy it as a kind of birthday present to myself (also Sunday!). Waaah.

Kristen, it's sweet of you to wait on me, but now I have no idea how long my yarn will take. You might want to start without me and then send me bunches of "catch-up" vibes! :XX: :XX: :XX:

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Well let me know what you hear from Herrschner's. When I had ordered my yarn from Webs (in three different colors...for three different projects, but Cozy will be in Natural), they had e-mailed on 5/22 saying that one color was back ordered and could be up to two weeks before it came in, but it all came today, so it may not be that long!

In fact, I think I'm going to fondle my yarn now...