Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 PM   #41
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Wow, Stacey, that is looking great! How are you liking working with the Mandalay?

I still haven't CO yet...just too busy this weekend, maybe I can this weekend. I just signed the kids up for swimming lessons too, but those don't start until July 17, but I should get at least half an hour poolside for that!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #42
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Sorry to be slow in responding, somehow I quit getting email alerts for this thread.

I am really liking the Mandalay but have had some setbacks here and there. Discouraging enough that I haven't picked it back up since Tuesday. (You can read the gory details here .)

What's everyone else up to?

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
earthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #43
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Hey where is everyone? How are things with Cozy? I frogged AGAIN.

Haven't yet picked it back up, but will as soon as I finish the NEBB I'm working on (which I hope is in the next couple of days).

Stacey

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #44
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I'm working on my Cozy again with the alpaca yarn. That yarn feels wonderful. I'll just keep plugging along.
Attached Images:

Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #45
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

My kids start swimming lessons next Monday. Even though they're only half an hour long, it sounds like prime knitting time to me! The pool is indoors, so no cancellation because of rain, and I can stay out of the sun...so Cozy, here I come!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:51 AM   #46
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
I'm continuing to work on my Cozy when I can. I added some stitches to my cast-on, because I'm a big girl. It's slow-going, but I think it will be nice.

I don't have a dog or a kitty because of allergies, so here are my substitutes: My stuffed lion and doggy! I use them as arm rests on my knitting rocker, because the wood hurts my elbows otherwise....so I guess they are helping in the project! :D

I'm using small needles so it's easy to carry around. (I didn't want to deal with a long cable on circular needles, and I also didn't want to use those long 14 inch needles, so here is my compromise. Vintage short needles.)

Question: Are you guys doing the slipped stitches knit-wise or purl-wise? I'm doing mine knit-wise.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cozy_pozy.jpg
Views:	1726
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	29456  Click image for larger version

Name:	cozy_lace.jpg
Views:	1733
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	29457  
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #47
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

That looks great, Sandy!

Cute companions too!
Old 07-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #48
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Great job, Sandy! I'm doing my slipped stitches knit-wise.

After four froggings, I think I'm finally in the swing of things (with the help of stitch markers and a lifeline). I have about 10 inches done I think. I am totally loving the yarn, the pattern, and my new Options needles (which just came yesterday and are making the k2tbl so much easier).

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project
Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #49
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

OK, so the pattern calls to CO 85, and in the feather pattern start with a K1...have you guys been slipping that first stitch on every row, or did you CO 87 and slip the first stitch and then do THAT K1?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 AM   #50
earthchick
Turning the Heel

Kristen, I am not slipping the first stitch, after multiple attempts that all ended badly:
the first time, I CO 85 and tried slipping the first st, but when row 7 started with k2tog, I got a little thrown off (so I slipped the first one and then k2tog the second one, which was a k1). I was slipping purlwise but then not doing anything different with the final stitch of each row (so on a K row, I was knitting it and on a P row, I was purling it). It was a mess.

the second and thrid times, I CO 87, slipped the first st kwise and knit the last st of every row. But it kept coming out wonky. I still don't know why, but having those two extra sts really messed things up for me, and the selvage was not looking particularly good.

So finally I CO 85 and just did the pattern exactly as written. I have never knit anything without slipping the first stitch b/c I don't trust myself to have neat edges. But it turns out that things are totally fine and I am really liking the way the edges of this shawl look. (you can check out my blog if you want to see my latest pic, which was Friday - I've got a few more inches done since then and will probably take another pic tonight).

I think theoretically you could make the pattern work with a selvage by CO 87 and slipping the first st, knitting the last st, but I just was not able to do it. :rollseyes:

edited to add the word "not" in the first sentence.

earthchicknits
The Seven Things Project