Old 05-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
Robin R
Ribbing the Cuff

Audio books while knitting?
Hello Ladies. Do any of you listen to audio books while knitting? I have found that I feel much more productive if I can knit or type entries on my blog, etc., if I can "read" a book, too. We are enjoying it quite a lot!

I searched for our first audio book about two months ago and found Pride and Prejudice. I found a place that lets you preview the audio book to see with narrator you like best. I have really enjoyed P & P and have listened to it twice through! (It's over 13 hours long)
Our second audio book was Sarah, Plain and Tall, which included all three books by Patricia M. And, even better, it is read by Glenn Close! She does a wonderful job.
The third one we chose was Charlotte's Web. Oh! It is wonderful. It is read by the author, E.B. White and is fabulous. I am listening to it right now. Charlotte's Web is special to us. I've had the book and movie since my 16-year old was a baby. I would watch it over and over and it has become our absolute favorite cartoon and is in my top five favorites of movies overall. It was no surprise that we have enjoyed the audio c.d. so.
Last week we were able to get two new ones. I chose Sense and Sensibiblity, which I am listening to now. The other we chose today is Joni, which is read by Joni Eareckson Tada herself! We listened to that on Friday and it was wonderful. My next audio book will be another Jane Austen book (Persuasion or Mansfield Park).

If you also listen to audio c.d.s while knitting, what are your favorites? :XX:
Robin R is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
IrishBaby
Knitting the Flap

Angela's Ashes is SO good, read by the author, Frank McCourt. I would also highly recommend any of the Harry Potter books, which are read by Jim Dale. Really fun.
IrishBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

I've listened to all the Harry Potter books and I'm on the last Wheel of Time book. I love listening to audio books while knitting!

I need some more ideas about what books to listen to next. A few ladies at my knit group like listening to the Janet Evanovich books, so I might try those out if my local library has them.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
projectgal
1st Leg of the Journey

Audio books
I love audio books! Our library has a pretty good selection, so I generally just browse the shelf and find something by an author I enjoy. Before children, I was well read. But now, if I start reading, I fall asleep. The only way I can get in any literature are audio books.

Sounds like you need books that the children would enjoy as well. What about...
Anne of Green Gables
Little House on the Prarie
anything by Frances Hodgson Burnett (by the way, my maiden name was Burnett, I used to pretend I was related to her)
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Babe The Galliant Pig
Beverly Cleary books (the Mouse and the Motorcyle, Ramona books)
Dahl books

I also like to listen to NPR downloads-the Prairie Home Companion, Infinite Mind, Parent's Journal,etc.
projectgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

I'm a bibliophile to the bone, so I don't know if I would have taken knitting up at all if I didn't have audio books!

The public library here has quite a selection, so I get a chance to explore new authors while I'm tangling myself up in yarn. Currently in the CD player is The St. Valentine's Day Murders by Ruth Dudley Edwards. Not only is it an interesting and funny book, but the reader is marvelous!

Other favorites:
All the Harry Potter Books
The Mists of Avalon
The Guns of August
Anything by Reginald Hill

That's all I can come up with right off the top of my head, but I sure do love me them audio-books!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
KatyKoolkat
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to KatyKoolkat
I knit and 'read' at the same time ALL the time (and every moment I can!!)! Mostly though it is in bed at the end of the night to unwind (I don't have a DH to keep me company or wind down with!!). I have read a lot.....but my favorites are the ones that have the different characters in different voices, and for that you just have to experiment, I'm afraid.

Although, speaking of audio books, I have had my share of nightmares too. The newest Diana Gabaldon book (highly, highly recommended--synopsis here for the first book) is available on cd, but there are the abridged and nonabridged versions. The abridged version is 13 cds, and available everywhere (btw, her books are very detailed and complex--you need the ENTIRE book)-however, the unabridged version is 48 cds and was specially recorded for the visually impaired, hence it is in the 'special' collections at our local library, and I can't get at it!! Add to that saga that the library doesn't interlibrary loan their cds or books less than a yr old, and I am fubarred!!

Very frustrating!!
KatyKoolkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
This subject is so close to my heart. Knitting and Reading are my favorite things, so I am ALWAYS listening to an audio book. I am a member at two county libraries, so I have quite a selection available to me. My favorite audiobooks are either "The Cat Who..." series by Lilian Jackson Braun, or any of the Star Trek tapes with "Scottie" narrating them. It's so relaxing to knit while escaping to one of the imaginary worlds in those books.

My husband and I go to consignment and thrift stores quite a bit, so when I find audiobooks for a good price, I'll nab them. Sometimes, after listening to them, I'll give them to the library.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #8
tygirwulf
Casting On

I prefer to actually read books, but I enjoy listening to recorded lectures by The Teaching Company. They have university professors putting together courses, which are then recorded in the Teaching Company studio. They're pretty expensive, but if you catch one on sale, you can usually get the audio download versions for $35 each. (The video DVD versions can go for $800 at normal price )Well worth it in my opinion! Right now I'm listening to the Roman History lectures. I miss the cameraderie you get actually interacting with a good professor, but I don't miss high tuition costs!
WIP: Danica scarf using K1C2's Paint Box in Nordic Skies (colorway #11)

tygirwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
Cristy
Instepping Out

Woohoo!! Other bibliophiles!!! I listend to audio books and knit too...it started with the Debbie Macomber books A Good Yarn and The Shop on Blossom street (just not in that order!). I had just started knitting and wanted to read them badly...I couldn't put down the needles to pick up a book so I downloaded them to my ipod. Many of you know that I work with students with autism--well one of my long time kiddos (my first student and he graduated on Friday!!!) really reads well but doesn't comprehend very well--we started working on the technique of visualizing (since that's really what comprehension is all about) and found that for him, listening to the stories helps him to visualize them--his eyes aren't distracted by the words...anyhow...I read my next books with him--Eragon and Eldest. Then I downloaded To Hell with all that...Livin and Loving your inner housewife by Caitlin Flanagan. I haven't finished it yet--I got interested in it after hearing a radio interview with her....and I've also downloaded By the Rver Piedra I sat down and wept by Paulo Coelho. I don't know anything about the last one but I loved The Alchemist so I thought I'd give it a try!
Sorry to ramble on....it's so good to hear that there are others who listen to books while they knit!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #10
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by tygirwulf
I prefer to actually read books
Oh, don't worry....I actually read as well. My husband and I are constantly tripping over the books piled up in our house. I think we each have at least 6 books going at once!

They are in the bathroom (the designated "reading room"), the bedroom, the living room, and my craft room. I've told him many times that we need to invest in creating a room full of bookcases just to store our collection!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote