Old 05-30-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
kja2s
Casting On

Tasha's shawl -- help with lace edging instructions!
Greetings! Tasha's shawl is a free pattern that I am trying to complete, but have come to a step that I don't understand and hope that you can help. I'm almost finished, but I don't understand what "work into each one (stitch) twice" Here are the exact instructions:

"When 2 live body sts remain to be attached to the edging, work into each one twice - in other words, as you come in towards the shawl, pick up the stitch from the shawl edge that was part of the last P 3 tog and use it in the next P 3 tog. "

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I've come too far to not finish this great shawl. Thanks so much!

I've pasted the rest of the instructions below in case they would be helpful.

"When you have used up all the live stitches, pick up into the yo sts at the shawl edge and continue attaching the edging to the shawl using the yo sts as you did the live sts earlier. Work the first of these twice as you did the last 2 live stitches. Continue with edging until 1 yo remains. Work into this st twice (as before). Pick up 1 st at the point and work it twice as you did for the last yo stitch. Continue on the next side, working the first yo st twice. Work the final 2 yo sts twice, to finish the last corner."
http://www.woolywest.com/notebook_shawl.html
kja2s is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
in other words, as you come in towards the shawl, pick up the stitch from the shawl edge that was part of the last P 3 tog and use it in the next P 3 tog.

It's hard to say without the work in front of me, but I believe they want you to reuse that stitch that was part of the last p3tog and use it as one of the stitches of the next p3 tog. Does that make any sense at all with regard to this pattern?

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
kja2s
Casting On

Thank you for your quick reply - I'm not sure if it makes sense because I not a very experienced knitter. Perhaps you can tell by seeing the first part of the instructions? Here's the basic pattern followed by the lace edging pattern:

Body of shawl
CO 3 sts.
Row 1 Yo, k3.
Row 2 Yo, k4.
Row 3 Yo, k 2 tog, yo, k3.
Row 4 Yo, k2 tog, yo, k4.
Row 5 Yo, k2 tog, yo, k5.

Continue in this manner, working a yo, k2 tog, yo at the beginning of every row, splicing in the new skeins, until you have used up 3 skeins of yarn. Splice in the 4th skein and finish the row.

Lace Edging
The lace edging is also the 'bind off' used to stabilize the live stitches at the top of the shawl.

To begin edging, CO 5 stitches with a backward loop or Wimpy cast on. Turn work. k4, k2 tog. This is a set up row. The k 2 tog is made up of the 5th cast on st and the first live st from the top of the shawl. Turn work.

Row 1 Yo, p2 tog, k1, yo, k2.
Row 2 K2, k-p-k into next stitch, k1, yo, p3 tog (this p3 tog is always made up of 2 edging sts and 1 st from shawl)
Row 3 Yo, p2 tog, k6.
Row 4 K6, yo, p3 tog.
Row 5 Yo, p2 tog, k6.
Row 6 BO 3, k2, yo, p3 tog.

Repeat these 6 rows as you work across the top of the shawl. When 2 live body sts remain to be attached to the edging, work into each one twice - in other words, as you come in towards the shawl, pick up the stitch from the shawl edge that was part of the last P 3 tog and use it in the next P 3 tog. [/b]
Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
What part are you up to? Or are you reading the pattern ahead of time?

The edging looks like you cast on 5 stitches at the end of the final row, turn the work and follow the directions step by step, incorporating live stitches from the edge. When you get to the sides, you pick up the yo's on a needle and use them as you did the live stitches.

For me, this is the kind of pattern I don't even try to understand. I just follow, step-by-step and see what I end up with.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
kja2s
Casting On

I'm at the last two live stitches on the top before starting on the first side and I don't get the part of working twice into these last two stitches . I think you are probably right -- I'll just follow the pattern, keep knitting and see how it comes out.

Thanks very much - I really appreciate your responses!