Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
Where can I find a tote bag for all the needles, etc?
I bought 2 zip folders for needles and hooks. With the stock I just accumulated recently, I need to get 10 more of those. I want to know if any company makes a tote bag with all the slots and straps for needles and hooks so I can stash like 30 pairs of spn and dpn's, 20 circulars, 20 hooks... :thinking:
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...&source=search Don't know if that would help. :thinking:
Go to Joann.com, and make a search for "totes". They have a looot of stuff.

I've found tackleboxes and artbins very useful. They're not made for knit/crochet, but they can be adapted to it.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
JLC
Instepping Out

I've been looking for something like that too. Right now I have a felted bag inside my knitting bag and I was rooting through it last night, looking for a size 6 circular and my dh looked over and said it looked like a tangled mess. Something with several (see through) pockets on the inside would be really good. I've been looking on-line but it's so hard to tell what those totes really look like and how big they are.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Yes, those bags look nice but I really want to see them in person to see if I can get use of them. But thanks for the link.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
DianaM
Turning the Heel

:thinking: If you are (or someone you know) crafty at sewing, you can actually make your own w/o much effort. This lady at an Multiple Sclerosis center I did part of my practice at had a very simple looking, but very functional one she'd made herself.

Get small zippered bags (about your average school pencil bag, or create a pattern that's similar), and sew velcro on the back of them. For larger needles, you can take a pattern out of a school flute bag and do the same as with the smaller bags.

Then get a large tote, or bag of your choice, that has not too many dividers inside and sew the other bits of the velcro to the bag's walls. Your smaller pouches will be able to stay in one place w/o creating a mess.

Just an idea.... :thinking:
Old 05-31-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
skNYC
Turning the Heel

I have been thinking about making one myself too. Before doing that, I would like to see if anybody already had the idea and made them for sale. Thanks for the idea though.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:17 PM   #7
Celine
Turning the Heel

me too
I know what you mean about needing a case. I "outgrew" the zip case I got at Joanns but then I was there the other day and they had them on clearance for $7.00 so I bought another zipped one. In the first one now I keep my alluminum needles and the new one I keep my bamboo needles and my double pointed also. But now that I have my Denise set I'm not even using any of those needles in the two zipped cases. But I'm glad to know they are safely tucked away for when I need them again. :XX: :XX:
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
Ellen Edwards
Working the Gusset

SK--I liked the looks of the JoAnn one at first, but I always read the reviews (Thank goodness for reviews!!) and there were several people that had thoughtful criticisms about these bags!!

I think you can make your own--knowing exactly what you need and want--just by buying more of the small zippered packets and a larger tote--like HanAku was saying--you'd probably like it more since you created it your self. Thank heavens for VELCRO!!

( I KNOW you want to put that supply of addis from Jeff in there!! lol)

OTN--Just socks right now. Not good at more than 1 thing at a time!
Ellen Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM   #9
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Found this link while prowling for random patterns http://www.organizedknitter.com/

Their stuff is quite pricey, but browsing through will get you a good idea of what to look for in a tote. Or you might try contacting them about making you a custom one.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
NinaT
Knitting the Flap

Needle Case
I had an idea that wouldn't require any craftiness. How about a three-ring binder and a bunch of those pencil cases that kids use for school? I think I'll wait for school supplies to go on sale and make myself a holder for all of my circs (that I bought before my interchangeables). You can label each pouch with the appropriate size.

Finished: Socks for DS
Hexagon Purse

On Deck: Beret from Gathering of Lace
NinaT is offline   Reply With Quote