Old 06-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
want2knit
Knitting the Flap

Knitting books for a beginner?
Hello all,

I'm very intrigued to begin this new creative passion! I would like to get a couple of books to learn how to knit, and I've narrowed down to 4--what would you pick for a newbie? (or is there one that's better than all these?)

My choices - 1. Teach Yourself Visually Knitting
2. The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
3. Knitting Rules
4. Knitting for Dummies

Thanks for any advice!
want2knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
JLC
Instepping Out

I learned by watching Amy's videos and the book "Stitch N Bitch". I do have the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and I really like it, but I wouldn't consider it a book to learn to knit with - to learn to create and customize patterns, sure. I haven't seen the others, so I can't comment on those. Hope this helps! Good luck.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I learned to knit with "Knitting Dummies" It remains a great resource

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
TwoLeftNeedles
1st Leg of the Journey

I have 2 and 3. While I like them both, I wouldn't recommend them for learning. Knitting Rules is more essays and humor than instructions.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
Originally Posted by JLC
I learned by watching Amy's videos
I agree with you about Amy's videos. (If you've never seen them, just click "Getting Started, Basic Techniques, and Advanced Techniques" at the top of this page.)

I think I learned more from watching Amy's videos than I did from anything else I've used. And I have a LOT of resources at home. (About 12 knitting books, 30 knitting magazines, 4 knitting videos, etc.)
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
kayeknit
Turning the Heel

I think the Knitter's Bible is a great beginning/intermediate reference book to have. :D
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. (1 Thessalonians 5:15-18)

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
- Albert Einstein
kayeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
kschmitz
Ribbing the Cuff

I also used Knitting for Dummies to learn. Stoller's Stitch 'N' Bitch books are also handy. And definitely check out the videos here!:D
kschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #8
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Sorry to disagree with the others, but I'd have to say "None of the above" to your list.

Amy's videos are a treasure, but I think they are a great supplemental resource for knitters, not a complete and primary learning experience.

If I were teaching myself to knit today, I'd go for Sally Melville's "The Knit Stitch," the first in a 3-book series called "The Knitting Experience." (The other two are "The Purl Stitch" and "Color.") Here's a link.

Melville leads you by the hand through everything you need to get started. As you go, she provides practice projects that you would actually want to wear -- none of them look like "beginner" styles. And all the while, you only have to learn one stitch: the basic knit stitch. The illustrations are clear and beautifully detailed. By the time you get through the book, you can turn out sweaters, shawls and more with confidence -- you're a knitter! Then it's on to "The Purl Stitch," which expands your repertoire a thousand percent. There are other books I'd suggest to beginners, including "Knitting in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti. A lot of people also like "Stitch & Bitch," though I think it tries too hard to be cool. But only Melville provides the combination of step-by-step learning with great-looking projects.

_____
The Mod Squad was here
knitasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Cristy
Instepping Out

For learning different stitches if you have the basics of knitting down, I like the Big Book of Knitting.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #10
Julie
Instepping Out

Amy's videos totally taught me how to knit. Books and/or diagrams did absolutely nothing but frustrate me...than, AHHHH....the VIDEOS.....every single time I need to pick up a new skill I go back to the videos.

That said, if you have kids or kids to knit for, I think Melanie Falick's Knitting for Baby is a tremendous resource. It goes through all the knitting basics, with projects along the way that match the skills you are learning. I'm a continental knitter so (especially as a beginner) I really appreciated that the instructions and diagrams are continental as well. :D