Old 06-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
OT: Computer Games, Video Games
I saw that we started a topic on reading, and I was so glad to see the recommendations on good books there!

Now, I'd like to start a discussion on Computer Games and Video Games.

I am a gaming addict, I guess. I play games on my PC (The Sims, Nancy Drew, Adventure Company) and on my Nintendo Gamecube (Animal Crossing, The Sims). I even own a Nintendo Gameboy Advance!

Can you believe that I am 42 years old?

I usually buy my games on eBay, or at a local discount game store like Game Spot. Here is my latest deal. I got all 5 of these games for 40 dollars total (including shipping) on eBay. That's less than 10 dollars a game!

I'm SO excited about the Agatha Christie game. I've been wanting that one for a while. I didn't want to pay 30 dollars in the store though, so I waited until I got a deal on eBay. It even includes a free paperback of the original story!

I have Agatha Christie "And Then There Were None" (mystery thriller), Crime Stories (a crime solving game), Forever Worlds (a parallel universe adventure), Dark Fall (a scary journey through an abandoned hotel and train station), and Lights Out (a creepy trek through a lighthouse in four different time periods).

I'm so excited!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	computer_games.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	28012  
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
Don't be ashamed of playing video games at 42. I once saw on the news that a 80 year old woman plays the old nitendo games for at least 4 hours a day!

I also like The Sims. I also like playing bored games on the computer like Life, Yhatzee(sp?), and others. An online gaming site that I like to go on is Pogo.com. A lot of those games are fun(like sweet tooth which is just like bejewled).
Jenelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #3
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

We are a multigenerational gaming family. We play a lot of games, but we play one in particular, an online space shoot 'em up game called Vendetta. My dad plays (61) my hubby (36) and I (34) play and our son (13) play. Sometimes all at the same time. I love computer and video games. I especially like the sim games, and a game called Tropico. I haven't had much time lately to play, but I it.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
tygirwulf
Casting On

I am such a big geek. Gaming was my second love after reading, and I've been playing games since I was 4. I'm not into games like The Sims as much as I am into stuff like racers, platformers, role-playing and action games. I've even got a few shooting games, fighting games and sports games. You know, all the "guy" type games. Not counting the older systems, I have a Playstation 2 (68 games), a Gamecube (13 games) and good gaming computer (too many games to count), while my fiance has an Xbox. Though I have to admit I bought most of my games when I was still living at home and had no real expenses. The spending has slowed down considerably since then. So I've been playing my older games, older PC games especially as they take some fiddling to get working, and I love fiddling around the PC.
WIP: Danica scarf using K1C2's Paint Box in Nordic Skies (colorway #11)

tygirwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I haven't played in awhile..since I started knitting actually. LOL However I do love computer games! We have Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims, Nancy Drew, Syberia and a few others. We used to love Space Quest and King's Quest, but they don't make them anymore and they don't work on this new computer. :rollseyes:

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

My favorite computer games are mostly solitaire games such as Free Cell, Spider, Forty Thieves. At www.pogo.com I usually can be found playing Squelchies, Lottso, Jigsaw Detective, or Bingo. Haven't played as much since getting back to knitting and crochet.

BTW, I just turned 61.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Jan in CA
I haven't played in awhile..since I started knitting actually. LOL However I do love computer games! We have Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims, Nancy Drew, Syberia and a few others. We used to love Space Quest and King's Quest, but they don't make them anymore and they don't work on this new computer. :rollseyes:
OMG, Jan!! I'm a former King's Quest addict!! Someone rewrote them for free download to play on the faster computers. Let me see if I can find the link. KQVIII works on my computer.

EDA - found it!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ingrid
OMG, Jan!! I'm a former King's Quest addict!! Someone rewrote them for free download to play on the faster computers. Let me see if I can find the link. KQVIII works on my computer.

EDA - found it!
That is awesome! I'm going to give them a try! Thanks! I'm glad you know what King's Quest is. It's been gone for so long I don't think most of the younger crowd knows. Did you play Space Quest, too? It was hilarious!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
mulene
Working the Gusset

I haven't played in awhile..since I started knitting actually.
Same!

OK I am an addict. Started in the 70's with an atari 2600. Run forward a bunch of teen years etc where I didn't game at all - then got a Game Boy and was addicted to tetris. Then got addicted to Super Mario Land and the entire Super Mario and Wario series. Follow the first Super Mario with Zelda. Best. Game. Ever! I LOVE the zelda series. I then dated a guy who was HUGE into gaming and introduced me to so many more.

I got an N64 with many games. One of my all time favourites is Space Station Silicon Valley - not many seem to have heard of that but it is brilliant and has much hidden comedy in there.

Then came Everquest, very very addictive and I put this addiction down to the cause of the break up of our relationship. So my "game boy" departed and I carried on. I have a Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Color, Game Boy DS and the other one that folds in half. I've not played game boy for quite some time.

After Everquest was Dark Ages of Camelot. Then, I was invited in to the World Of Warcraft closed beta. I finally quit the game in March and took up knitting.

I recently bought a PsP too which I LOVE - I have yet to downgrade the firmware on it to play homebrew games but I'm going to do that soon.

Other favourites: Rayman, Kuru Kuru Kirikin (or whatever it is called - puzzle game for GBA), Silver (and old PC game), Thief. I love RPG's, platformers and adventure games, I also love puzzles that test your reactions. I am not so keen on Sims / Civilisations type games. I have Black & White 2 which is ok but I just get fairly bored with it fairly fast. I prefer things that constantly change, so platformers and RPG's for sure.

Edit: OH! I also have a game cube. Can't wait for the new Zelda later this year - it looks awesome!

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Ingrid

EDA - found it!
That is awesome! I'm going to give them a try! Thanks! I'm glad you know what King's Quest is. It's been gone for so long I don't think most of the younger crowd knows. Did you play Space Quest, too? It was hilarious!
Yep! We did Space Quest and Liesure Suit Larry, too! In fact my grandson still plays KQVIII. He used to sit on my lap and watch me play. He still calls it "The Man Jumping" game.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote