Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 PM   #1
4weeone
Casting On

basketweave... holes when changing from knit to purl
I am doing a simple basketweave pattern k10, p10 across and on the reverse knit the purl and purl the knit.

But in every section that I change to purl I am getting holes and a long piece of yarn. I have tried to pull the wool tight on the first couple of purl stitches and that doesn't seem to help.

I knit by throwing the wool - don't know if that makes a difference. Anyway I was hoping someone would have some tips on how to not get these holes, it is really quite ugly!
4weeone is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Hi there.

When you bring the yarn in front to purl, are you bringing it between the needles? People often have a bit of a hole when switching from knit to purl and vice versa, but the long strand makes me think that you might be bringing the yarn over the needle somehow.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
4weeone
Casting On

Yep, I am bringing the yarn between the needles.

When I started knitting I had everything all messed up and twisted. So I had to relearn and made sure I followed every step to the letter. I am confident that I am doing my stitches correctly but I am still stumped as to why I am getting the long strands???
Old 06-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Do you mean long strands between the purl and knit stitches that you've already done? That would just be from doing the stitch loosely, I believe.
Try to keep your needles and stitches as close together at that point, pulling the yarn so that the needles touch and using as small a motion as you can to pull the stitch through.

It would be exaggerated by a larger-sized needle and yarn, too. :thinking:

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 06-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
GeeBee
Ribbing the Cuff

as one newbee to another.......ugh........me too.............those holes.............

I've been practicing while making a scarf that is k5, p5 for 5 rows and then p5, k5 for 5 rows....

This is what I've done that seems to help:

when I move the thred from back (knitting) to front (to begin perling) I make sure my work twists toward me on the needle and I try to make the first purl rather tight.

i think I am getting the holes, or in my case a loose ridge of stitches because I knight tighter than I purl, so that's why making sure that first change over stitch is nice and snug seems to help

make sense to you? hope so :XX:
Old 06-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
4weeone
Casting On

It does make sense and I thought it was my problem, but now I don't think so. I have been making sure that my last couple of knit stitches and the first couple of purl stitches are quite tight and also making sure that when I bring the yarn between the needles there isn't any excess yarn. I have also used Ingrid's suggestion of keeping the needles close and trying to make small motions.

But much to my frustration I am still getting the long strands where I change from knit to purl. Any other thoughts or suggestions?????

Oh, and I am using sport weight with #9 needles, nice and small knitting perfect for a baby blanket, or so I thought. I am almost ready to scrap the pattern, but not quite yet because I am determined to know why I can't make this part properly.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Ingrid
Mod Squad

I think you've found the problem. Size 9 needles are really too big for sportweight. There is always some amount of stranding when switching (I was looking closely at mine yesterday and there is a bit), but I don't think I'd go above a size 6 for sportweight, and 5 would be even better.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 06-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
4weeone
Casting On

I never would have thought about the needles being to large!! The rest of the knitting looks just fine. Thanks so much for the tip. And I just came from a local store that is discontinuing their knitting supplies and I was able to buy circular's from size 5 all the way to size 10!! So now I can try it again with the size 5 needles!!!

Thanks again!