Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

Green Gable FO and yarn for next project
Here's my pre-blocked Green Gable, or should I say Barn Red Gable?

Mods? I made the 36" size (4" of negative ease). First I added 6 pairs of Japanese short rows. Following the waist decreases, I put in 2 sets of waist increases at the hips. Next, after 5 rnds of rib, I did a tubular BO with 2 rnds of double knitting for the hem. Then, when doing the sleeves, I picked up an extra 7 sts at the underarm before joining. The BO on the sleeves was also tubular but w/o the double knitting.

I actually like the tubular BO on my sleeves better than the hem - it looks cleaner and more precise, even if it does feel flat like a regular BO. This was my first time using the tubular BO, and I liked it a lot! I tried the Italian method first, but it didn't meet my satisfaction. (Although, that site did tell how to do double knitting ITR - very helpful .) So, I followed the easy instructions from The Knitting Answer Book which are the same as in Amy's videos and Nancie Wiseman's The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques, except for the pictures and a slight variation on stitch arrangement - or, should I say non-rearrangement. The Knitting Answer Book shows how to do it without having to separate the knit and purl sts onto two needles. It wasn't confusing at all, sewing with all the sts on one needle. Another thing that helped me was someone's post (I think on this forum ) that said: after sewing into the first knit st, slip it to the right needle instead of letting it drop off in order to connect it to the last st ITR. Thank you, whoever mentioned that!

And now for my next project: Lotus Blossum Tank from IK Summer '06 in SWTC Bamboo - turqouise. I got my yarn, which I bought for $4.05 off per skein from http://www.fullthreadahead.com, in the mail today . Wow that came fast because I ordered it June 3rd and was sure that the shipping said standard mail. From Ohio to North Carolina, it usually takes 4 days. From California, I expected a little longer wait. But, when I opened the mailbox, my priority mail envelope was inside after only 3 days. Yipee! Perfect timing: now I can cast on today.

Final note: pre-blocked, GG fits everywhere except between the shoulders. I wonder how the lace panel across the neck will fit after blocking? Though I did have to add short rows, waist increases @ the hips, and extra sts at the sleeves, I didn't think about the shoulder-to-shoulder length... I must be narrower than the standard measurement for women's sizes! I wonder if I'll always have difficulty with sizing at the neck and shoulders. It's a tricky business altering a pattern between the neck and bust when there's shaping involved! But, I'll keep trying!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gg_unblocked_1.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	28154  Click image for larger version

Name:	gg_tubular_bo.jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	28155  Click image for larger version

Name:	bamboo_turqouise.jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	28156  

OTN: Henley Perfected, Fifi
Jackie F. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Andrea
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via MSN to Andrea

I can't believe how well you did with making your own modifications! How long have you been knitting? I don't see myself as ever being able to do that!!

No chorus?
Houyhnhnms!
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
gardenmommy
Instepping Out

Beautiful Barn Red Gable!

Great bamboo too!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

That looks just amazing, great job!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
AnreeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Gorgeous...just gorgeous.....now, about the swtc bamboo yarn....what a deal!!!!! We just bought some new Bose speakers (yeah, baby!) after I assured Lonnie that I didn't want any more yarn this pay period (he's so sweet, he wanted to make sure I was yarn happy 1st )...so, I don't think I'll get any....but, it's such a great deal

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

Beautiful Jackie!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #7
Jackie F.
Knitting the Flap

two years + childhood
Originally Posted by Andrea

I can't believe how well you did with making your own modifications! How long have you been knitting? I don't see myself as ever being able to do that!!
Thanks guys!

Andrea, I've been knitting almost two years. When I was little, I taught myself to knit and crochet from a book. But, for years I didn't do either and forgot all but the actual knit and purl stitch. Two years ago I picked knitting back up while I was pregnant. After using this web site and knitting a few baby sweaters, I took the big plunge and tried making sweaters for myself. Since I have short arms and narrow shoulders, I've been forced to modify patterns. After a few sweaters, I learned what parts of the sweater might need modification on a regular basis. Changing the sleeve length and sweater length is easy, but learning how to mess with other parts of a pattern takes some trial and error. I bought a book that teaches how to make your own sweater. After making one using this book, I felt more confident about changing patterns. I'm still experimenting and still make mistakes that require frogging. But, I'm glad that I've gotten to the point where I know how to go back and fix a problem. If I can do it, I know you can!

OTN: Henley Perfected, Fifi
Jackie F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I don't think I could modify a pattern to that degree. Length, sure. Much else, I find a different pattern. Kudos to you!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
jamadian75
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to jamadian75 Send a message via MSN to jamadian75
Now that is a book I would be interested in! Can you tell us the title/author?

On Zee Needles:
*Central Park Hoodie (KH KAL); *Sangria Sock #2 (for me!); Mystery project in Noro Iro; *Other UFO's which shall remain nameless

"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
jamadian75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #10
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

:D If memory serves, she used Sweater Workshop by Jacqueline Fee.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote