Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

Seamless baby sweater
I'm making this seamless baby sweater: http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweyokecard.htm

It's knitted from the neckline down and the stitches are divided for the sleeves. I'm to the point where I put the sleeve stitches on holders and that's where I'm getting confused. The directions are:

Repeat these two rows 4 (5) more times. (190 )(216) sts, putting sleeves on holder on the last (WS) row.

Next Row (RS): *Work to within 2 sts of marker, increase in next st, K 1, remove marker, CO 4 sts under arm, remove marker, increase in next st*; work across the back and repeat between stars (130) (150) sts

When I put the sleeves on the holders, do I not knit those stitches? That would bring the last stitch on the front together with the first stitch on the back. That made sense until you read the direction: Work to within 2 sts of marker, increase in next st, K 1, remove marker, CO 4 sts under arm, remove marker. Those four CO stitches are picked up with the sleeve stitches to knit.

I understand this concept, and it seemed pretty simple until I started doing it. I didn't knit the sleeve stitches on the last row, and there is a little gap in the yarn but if I continue, the fronts and back will be one continuous piece. However, if I knit the sleeve stitches onto a holder, (1) they'll be the wrong gauge and (2) the sleeve won't be separated out.

Can someone explain???
cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
You want the back and front to connect into one piece. This will be the part of the sweater from the armholes down. The sleeves are on a holder for later. After you finish the body, you'll go back and work the sleeves.

You cast on stitches when you connect the front and back to allow space in the under arm. Later on, when you knit the sleeves, you'll pick these up.

Up to know you've knit the sweater from the neck down to the armpit. By putting the sleeves on hold, you've created a place for the arm to go through.

Continue to follow the pattern, and you'll see it develop.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

OMI---I've been waiting for you to come thru!! I've goggled all over the 'net looking for instructions and every pattern handles this differently.

I think what's confusing me is that the first instruction says to move the sleeve stitches then on the next instruction it says to remove the markers. I'd just have two markers bouncing against one another 'cause you don't add the 4 extra stitches until the RS row.

I'm thinking of tinking back to the WS, knitting the sleeve stitches, then move them to holders. That would allow the yarn to flow continuously, and then on the next row, add the 4 extra stitches for the armhole which I assume would take up the little gap area which currently looks pretty tight.

Makes sense to me, I think. This is such a simple pattern but these two rows brought me grinding to a halt. And of course, I want it to be perfect 'cause this is suppose to be for a christening.

Thank you, thank you ma'am.

Gladys---

TRUST THE PATTERN and if all else fails, TRUST INGRID!!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
:D

What you're doing makes absolute sense, especially the part about allowing the yarn to move smoothly. Most well-written patterns have that flow.

In any event, though, I've never done a sweater where a row would make much of a difference, so there's no point in panicking.

Make sure you post a picture of it when you're done!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #5
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

I try posting when it's finished. That's much harder than knitting. I'm also using Plymouth Dreambaby yarn, only because you have always said such good things about Plymouth yarn. It's really, really nice. No runs, no splits, no errors (at least so far)!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #6
Raglan
Casting On

I just finished this sweater thanks to Ingrid she was a big help, good luck!
Raglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
dskag
Casting On

I realize this is an older thread but I am looking for help with this same part of this pattern. Am I supposed to cast on the 4 stitches for the sleeve and knit them or just leave them there and skip them on the subsequent rows. If I knit them into the body, then how do I pick them up for the sleeves? I've ripped rows several times already and just can't figure this out. Can someone give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to handle these sleeves? I'm stuck! Thank you.
dskag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You would cast on the sts, then knit the back section of the sweater to the next sleeve sts, co and knit to the end of the row. The new sts would be worked on the next row. These will form a \_/ at the underarm and when you do the sleeve sts, just pick up in them to close the circle for the sleeve sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
dskag (03-11-2011)
Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #9
dskag
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
You would cast on the sts, then knit the back section of the sweater to the next sleeve sts, co and knit to the end of the row. The new sts would be worked on the next row. These will form a \_/ at the underarm and when you do the sleeve sts, just pick up in them to close the circle for the sleeve sts.
Thank you for the good description. I've tried that and it looks like it's working fine. I'll let you know. :D
dskag is offline   Reply With Quote