Old 06-09-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

What to do when you're blue?
I've had a horrible week, just horrible. My job here is taking care of my cattle. They all have names, they come when they are called and the male farmers around here know I'm crazy cause I don't raise them for market. Yes, about every other year we have a steer butchered for the locker and all the kids and their kids come about once a month and load up with beef. Yesterday I lost one of my cows. She was a bottle baby-I raised her on a calf bottle. She was a mature lady but I still wasn't ready for her to die. I cried. All the vets could do was scratch their heads and send blood samples away. I'm going to have to raise her calf on a bottle now too. I had him pinned up in my barn, but some bright soul decided to let him out. When questioned, all the hands did the "Not me" thing. Thanks guys. Now the little guy has to go another 12 hours without having warm milk and crying and crying for his mom. :crying: :crying:

This morning I attended a performance of Beauty and the Beast my four year old granddaughter was in. When we left I knew I had to change this mood pretty quickly or it was going to bleed over on her. First we went to ToysRUs to gather some goodies for her, then we hit the LYS for me. It worked. Knitting a new project with new yarn is good for the soul.
Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Pixywhispers
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to Pixywhispers
(((Nikki)))

edited for a brain fart, <sigh>, sorry! And to add
Keep us updated on the baby.

There is a time to be born and a time to die. A time to laugh and a time to cry, but there never seems to be enough time to knit.-Anon. (or to visit KH!)

Come visit my blog.
Pixywhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
Holly
Knitting the Flap

What a nice memorial for your lost cow -- whatever you decide to knit, you'll be able to look back on the good memories whenever you look at the FO. Hang in there {{{{Nikki}}}} Now go out there and find that baby!! Better yet...send the guys!
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
I am sorry about your lost cow :(
If it was a regular blue day I would say go shopping, but this is not a usual blue. Hugs!
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Sorry about your loss! I'm glad that you have her baby, though
I do the same thing when I'm down...begin a new project..works wonders for me

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Chel
Turning the Heel

What to do....
Starting a new project is a great idea... I'm sorry about your cow. I can see how easy they might be to love, with their big soulful eyes and sweet little cow noses.

I believe everything in life has an eternal balance. For every death there is a birth, for every smile there is a tear shed. Don't pay attention to those guys... quite possibly the entire reason the universe put them in your path is because you balance out their low emotional I.Q., and your love of other living creatures needs to spill over to the m a bit.

Always remember, the bad days only exist to give us a true appreciation for the good days.

ANd having said all that... (((((GIANT HUGS))))))

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Celine
Turning the Heel

I'm sorry too
I'm sorry too about your cow. I was reading about your "life" and thought how different it is from mine. No cows in my life. I'd get to love one too I'm sure. But I do have two dogs. Hang in there. :D
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
Amber
Working the Gusset

I'm so sorry!! (((hugs))) That little calf crying for him mom just breaks my heart.

Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #9

Hi Nikki,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish you much peace and comfort in the following weeks and months.

I have to add that I so wish I had lived on a farm. My dad used to work with a guy who had a lot of cows and we went to see his farm one day and I was amazed at how they responded to him, but with our family there they sure were a bit leary I thought they were just beautiful creatures I always want to go and pet them but am a bit scared at their size. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage.

Again, I wish you the best.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

im so sorry you lost her. and she had a little one, too. my heart goes out to him and to you. those hands, arent they supposed to be helping you not making it harder?? that makes me so angry. they shouldnt be messing with you or the calf at a time like this.

on a totally practical note: do you lose money not giving these cows to market? i would love to raise cows and not have to send them to market!