Old 06-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

First lace project - Knitpicks Shadow Scarf - yarn question
I haven't yet tried to knit lace but the newest knitpicks book has inspired me to give it a try. I would like to make the shadow scarf shown in the book for my Mom's birthday. The question I have is that the yarn they recomend is shadow which is a lace weight yarn. Since I haven't tried this before and it's a gift I'm a little nervous about using such delicate yarn. Do you all think that I could do it shine worsted or even the original shine and it would still look ok? If so, what size needle should I use and how many balls would I need. There are 440 yards in shadow and they say you would need 2 hanks. So does this mean I would need 880 yards worth of shine to make this work. I hope not. That seems like a lot of yarn for a scarf!

Here's the link to the scarf and yarn from knitpicks.

http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Pr...yarnid=5420127

Thanks for any imput or ideas on this project.
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Freyja
Knitting the Flap

Majoring in lace. Eunnyjang will answer lots of questions you might have about lace. Hope this helps.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,907 Posts
Lace knitting uses a very thin yarn, and LOTS of rows of stitches. It takes patience and time. If you use worsted weight yarn with that pattern, it will turn out HUGE! I'd stick with the Shadow yarn if I were you.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Maybe you could take a look at the lace patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com . There are patterns there that call for different weights of yarn. Maybe you can find one that you could use.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
hedgewick
1st Leg of the Journey

good ideas, thanks Think I'll check out the other patterns. Who knows, I may decide to just go for it and do shadow anyway. Other thought was to size down the pattern so I could use a bit thicker yarn. Maybe cast on less stitches ( I had it calculated before but it's too early to think about it right now...lol) so it isn't so wide when I use the shine or whatever I decide on. I don't know if this even makes sense. I only thought of that because I noticed that the other patterns in the set were made with different yarns but use the same stitch pattern. If I can get the yarn and cast on number right it should be ok I think.
hedgewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
geekgolightly
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Freyja
Majoring in lace. Eunnyjang will answer lots of questions you might have about lace. Hope this helps.
thank you for this link! :D