Old 06-10-2006, 03:51 AM   #1
grneyzz
Ribbing the Cuff

Fluffy Bodies
Okay..Im fat but fluffy sounds so much better in the subject.

Anyway...Ive knit a number of scarves a few sweaters (mostly for my son, all 2 fo them)

Now I hope to make some stuff for me. That looks GOOD on me. I knit one sweater and I love its fit and feel but its bulky and bulk is bad on big girls

I got the new Big Girls Knit book and I am looking at a couple of those but I was wonderfing if anyone else had any good resources for plus sized (20ish in ready to wear) NICE stuff. Not just frumpy dump stuff. Things that a single plus sized mama could get some attention in maybe
grneyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
This store was posted recently. I know KellyK loves it!!
Avenue

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I love Lane Bryant :D

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
Celine
Turning the Heel

Knitting?
Are you looking for knitting patterns to knit for yourself or stores to shop at? I can suggest for both. :D lol

I love "The Avenue" also for a place to shop and "Catherine's.com" is great too. I shop at both of them.

Now if you're looking for a book for knitting sweaters I have the "Big Girl Knits" as you do PLUS I have the new book "Classic Knits for Real Women". That book is full of beautiful, classic stylish things to wear. If you are wanting "hip and funky" then it's NOT the book for you.

Sally Melville's books are great too!! She has three out right now that are a part of a series that will eventually be FIVE books. First one is "The Knitting Experience, Second book is "the Purl Stitch" and her third book is on "Color". Her books have plus sizes also. Also available at Amazon.

I ordered my copy from Amazon and got it at a great price. Good luck
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Deeknit
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Deeknit
Look at these sites:

www.whiteliesdesigns.com
www.oatcouture.com
www.vermontfiberdesigns.com

Deeknit
www.deeknitter.blogspot.com
Deeknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:09 AM   #6
grneyzz
Ribbing the Cuff

I was thinking more patterns but if anyone comes up with an new stores for big girls...Im all for that too.

Ill take a look at those sites Deeknit..they look intriging at first glance at least
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
KristiMetz
Knitting the Flap

The Ample Knitters site rocks. They have several free patterns, a gallery of the stuff, and it's based off of an e-mail list you can join.

Lots of experienced plus-size knitters there who I am in awe of. If I ever knit myself clothes, I'll started with the cabled tee.
KristiMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
mulene
Working the Gusset

I am loving Big Girls Knit. Currently, I've thrown Bombshell onto my needles for the Knitting World Cup.

I had to substitute yarn and chose Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora for it. Probably a poor choice since the angora is fluffing like crazy all over my clothes while I knit it, however its looking nice so far.

I am totally sick of seeing patterns for smaller sizes. It isn't so much that they are for smaller sizes but for people with smaller chests. Is the average maximum size REALLY a 38" chest (in Jaegar's world it is)?

I have only recently taken knitting back up, but I am incensed at how many gorgeous patterns I find, only to have to just groan and shove it back on the shelf when I see the maximum size is 36" or 38". I am not nearly experienced enough to design my own or even work out how to make these patterns bigger.

I've been looking for a resource to tell me HOW to make patterns bigger. The trouble then of course is, the shape might not be right in bigger sizes - is this why they don't do the patterns in bigger sizes?

I am not HUGE but I do have a 46" chest at the widest part. I am determined to learn how to adapt patterns or how to at least design patterns for us larger ladies.

It is now my mission in life, to find out how to do it so that I can post something somewhere easily accessible so other ample knitters can know how too!

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
spooky
Knitting the Flap

Re: Fluffy Bodies
Originally Posted by grneyzz
Okay..Im fat but fluffy sounds so much better in the subject.
I never thought anyone, but my friend Fluffy said that lol. He was a very big guy and after he wore a shirt saying "I'm not fat, I'm fluffy" he was called Fluffy ever since.

The bad thing is lol he dropped over 100 pounds and isn't fluffy fluffy anymore. Guess he's stuck with the name :D .
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 AM   #10
grneyzz
Ribbing the Cuff

Bombshell is what I was drawn to first to try. I dont feel I can afford the yarn right now though, I want to to be nice nice stuff. I found Plus Fashion Knits or something liek that this weekend. It all calls for Homespun but I am going to try one with a electric blue blend I got for $1 a ball. (I got 20 not knowing what I was going to do)

I think Big Girl knits does some stuff about altering patters, making them adjust for you. I dont feel up to that either but I think Im willing to try. It least its worth a shot on the next one Maybe Bombshell in a microfiber.

I am really intruged by the short row thing (to accomidate for bustline, not that I need tones of that LOL)

I did see the Ample Knitters site but I didnt do much in theway of looking at it (bad me)

Okay...ladies...fair warning now...I WILL be asking questions later :D