Old 06-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
Deeknit
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Deeknit
Las Vegas Knitting
Am traveling to Las Vegas in July for a business meeting. Staying at the Venetian.

I see on the Yarn Store Map a listing for 2 LYS in Vegas - Gail Knits and Wooly Wonders.

Any recommendations on which to go see. I will only have time to get away to one.

Thanks.

Deeknit
www.deeknitter.blogspot.com
Deeknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Jaycee
Casting On

Hi! Wow they scheduled you for Las Vegas in July?!?! Prepare for the heat!

I love Gail Knits. It is a really friendly shop with some nice samples and a fun, varied selection of yarn. Gail is great and you would enjoy seeing the shop.

There is another shop that is not listed that is on the corner of Rainbow and Sahara called "Two Crazy Ladies" It sits way back from the curb and is on the southwest corner of that intersection so right on the path as you go to Gail's. This is my latest discovery for yarn and they have a really good selection and it's a friendly place too.

I haven't made it to Wooly Wonders yet, but that's one I'm planning for. It's further away from my area of town and my Saturdays have been busy with the kids. I work full-time during the week so it's hard to get there during the hours they have open. I've heard it's a great place too - includes spinning etc.

There's also a quilt shop on Buffalo and Cheyenne, Nancy's Quilt Shop, that has a big knitting corner with some really great samples and classes. They do lots of felting and socks and I notice it's really expanding everytime I go in there--very nice shop.

So that's what I know about buying yarn in Las Vegas. Have a fun trip here. The Venetian is a very fun spot.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
zazzu
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi Deeknit,

I'm new here...hope you don't mind me jumping in.

There's a third shop I only just heard of called Two Crazy Ladies Yarn Shop. It's at 6985 W. Sahara Ave. (behind Wells Fargo).

The only LV yarn shop I've visited was Gail Knits. It was only once, about a year-and-a-half ago. I personally found it very dark and cramped. The young lady who assisted me was helpful, but it was pretty obvious that the regular customers did NOT like newcomers to visit. I don't plan to go back.

Please let me add that this was just my experience. I know there are other knitters who just adore the place. I'm looking forward to checking out the TCL or WW shop one of the next times I'm in Vegas.

Have a great time in Las Vegas! The Venetian is supposed to be fabulous :D
zazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
awos1244
Ribbing the Cuff

Vegas Yarn Stores
Hi Deeknit:

I live in CA but I'm in Vegas every few weeks. I've been to Wooly Wonders and Gail Knits...Wooly Wonders is a bit of a distance to the east of where you'll be staying and the store is on the small side. They don't stay open very late on certain days so don't go without calling first. They were friendly though.

As for Gail Knits, I agree with the poster who said the atmosphere was rather unwelcoming. I agree as I've had the pretty much the same experience every time I've been there.

You walk in and are suddenly confronted with hoards of regulars sitting around the table working, having lessons, chatting, etc. No one makes an effort to steer you toward whatever you might need. You literally have to step over and around these people in order to get to the merchandise.

Two years ago I purchased a gift certificate from them for a friend to have lessons. Nearly a year later after numerous calls to the instructor and the store, with little to no response from them, my friend gave up and cashed in the certificate. That was not a nice experience and I was embarrassed that my friend had to endure such poor customer service.

On the positive side they do have a huge selection of beautiful merchandise. One just has to take a deep breath and surround oneself with white light before going in there. Ignore the frostiness of the regulars and the indifference of the clerks.

There are slim pickings in Vegas for yarn shops and I have found that because of the limited offerings, the service tends to be poor. They don't need you and they know it. I've found this to be the case with other types of services in that city as well. There are too few vendors and more customers than they could ever want so customer service seems to be slim to none. Thank goodness I can come home to LA where I have lots more choices. Good luck to you.

Chantal
awos1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Jaycee
Casting On

Wow - this just doesn't mesh with my experience at Gail's! I'm pretty much a rank beginner (started in November) and so I've purchased yarn for scarves, hats, socks, booga bags and I'm working on my first sweater. I've never had a chance to just go in and sit and knit at the table although that looks fun. I sign up on the board if I ever need help with a project that I'm stuck on and then I enjoy looking around until it's my turn! All the clerks I've dealt with there have been really helpful and fun. They always greet me by name when I walk in and I just find it a pleasant place to be. My daughter and her boyfriend went in prior to Mother's Day and purchased a gift card for me and also felt really welcomed and comfortable in there. I think the boyfriend is more into yarn than my daughter (she's the outdoor camping, hiking fishing one of the family). Just to balance what's been said here on the board.

I would say I spend my knitting money equally at the three shops I wrote about on my first post and I really love going to each shop. I'm finding I love the on-line shops as well. Too many knitting ideas and not enough time!

Here is Las Vegas, it's a little hard to get into knitting warm clothing now that it's June. I have been making Chemo hats for my neice (ovarian cancer) and a warm hat for my nephew (getting deployed in July) and I have been learning to do Fair Isle knitting which I am loving. I think this knitting thing is totally addictive!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Re: Vegas Yarn Stores
Originally Posted by awos1244
As for Gail Knits, I agree with the poster who said the atmosphere was rather unwelcoming. I agree as I've had the pretty much the same experience every time I've been there.

You walk in and are suddenly confronted with hoards of regulars sitting around the table working, having lessons, chatting, etc. No one makes an effort to steer you toward whatever you might need. You literally have to step over and around these people in order to get to the merchandise.

Chantal
Wow, that sounds like my LYS, that I adore so much (maybe because I'm one of the horde of regulars and am sitting around the table). LOL I think if you make the effort to talk the regulars, you might find they are happy to accept you. They just might be absorbed in the project and chatting with friends. That happens to us, but we are totally happy to help out others, even though we don't work in the shop.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #7
awos1244
Ribbing the Cuff

Re: Vegas Yarn Stores
>>Wow, that sounds like my LYS, that I adore so much (maybe because I'm one of the horde of regulars and am sitting around the table). LOL I think if you make the effort to talk the regulars, you might find they are happy to accept you. They just might be absorbed in the project and chatting with friends. That happens to us, but we are totally happy to help out others, even though we don't work in the shop.>>

I totally understand what you're saying. It's interesting how we can have such different experiences dealing with the same people/business, etc., isn't it? That's life. Despite my experiences there, I did say that I continued to patronize them. I just block out whatever *vibes* that don't resonate with me that might be floating around there. I'm very thick-skinned and have no problem letting that kind of atmosphere roll off my back but since someone else brought it up I felt a need to share.
Believe me, I'm not losing sleep over it, I do love their merchandise and will continue to patronize them as needed.

Chantal
awos1244 is offline   Reply With Quote