Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #1
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Increase on toe up sock
Hi all!

Can any of you toe-up sock knitters tell me the best increase to use on the toe up sock? I'm knitting my first one now and was wondering which one looked best.

The instructions I have say to increase after the first stitch and before the last stitch on each needle. So does that mean to K1, then M1 by knitting into the front and back of the next stitch? Or to knit into the front and back of that first stitch. Likewise, do I knit into the front and back of the second to last stitch and knit the last normally?

Or maybe I should lift the bar between the stitches for the increases? I don't know, every pattern I've seen says something different! ;-)

TIA!

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Personally, I do matching bar increases (M1R and M1L). Kfb is a little too visible for my taste...not like anyone is gonna be scrutinizing my sock toes, but still....
Old 06-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Julie!

This is my first attempt and it is using kfb, but it doesn't look too bad. Next time I'll try the M1R and M1L.

My blog
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

It looks great! And wow... beautiful yarn! What kind is it??
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

It's Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock in the Mtn Creek colorway. I love this yarn and I actually made myself a pair of socks already. But I have enough left over for footie or ankle socks. I wanted to do them toe up so I could tell when to stop the ribbing! I ended up winding the yarn around two chairs, counting how many turns, and winding it into two separate, equal center pull balls. DH laughed at me! But I told him, hey, I was actually saving money by not having to buy MORE yarn. Here are the original socks made in that yarn.

My blog