Old 06-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #1
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Blog Help
Hi all,

I have a blog already (with blogger.com), but I am finding that I can't do a lot of the things that I would like to do with it. I want to add buttons along the side and put in progress bars to track my projects, but blogger doesn't seem to accomodate these types of features.

I really like the simplicity of the blogger program in that I don't have to do any HTML stuff or anything. I just don't have time to learn how to do HTML or any other basic programming.

Does anyone have or know of a good blog provider that will allow some more flexibility? I don't mind paying, but I don't want to pay for something that is either not flexible enough or too complex to use.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Trish

Next on the Needles: My own design!!!

Check out my blog: http://seetrishknit.blogspot.com/

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
ladyindica2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Several people on here use blogspirit, I've heard that typepad is good, also. I'm very much of a blog newbie, so I can't suggest any others. I don't understand why you can't put progress bars in blogger, though, I have them...or, are you looking for a different type of progress bar...u can see the ones I have on my blog.

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

What part of it are you having trouble with? Adding buttons really isn't all that difficult, and the html is pretty easy once you do the first one. You can just cut and paste the rest. It just seems difficult. Trust me, once you do one, you'll be able to do them w/o a problem.

Do you know where to go to add the buttons?
Do you want to link the buttons?
If you let me know what you need, I can show you how to do it easy-peasy.

You can do it!!!

~Sharon

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by rebecca
Several people on here use blogspirit, I've heard that typepad is good, also. I'm very much of a blog newbie, so I can't suggest any others. I don't understand why you can't put progress bars in blogger, though, I have them...or, are you looking for a different type of progress bar...u can see the ones I have on my blog.
Thank you so much for the link to your blog. You have the things that I want to add to my blog and can't for the life of me figure out. How do I put buttons and progress bars on the sides of my blog? I can figure out how to post well enough, but putting all the extras (like the bars, buttons, and links to other sites) I can't for the life of me figure out. Please share your blog-spertise with me.

Thanks!

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
Old 06-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by gimmesanity
What part of it are you having trouble with? Adding buttons really isn't all that difficult, and the html is pretty easy once you do the first one. You can just cut and paste the rest. It just seems difficult. Trust me, once you do one, you'll be able to do them w/o a problem.

Do you know where to go to add the buttons?
Do you want to link the buttons?
If you let me know what you need, I can show you how to do it easy-peasy.

You can do it!!!

~Sharon
Thanks for the help. I think it must be easy to put these things in, I just don't know where in blogger to go to put them in. Any help you can give is much appreciated!

Old 06-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I pm'd you with some info

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!
rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

OK, so to add buttons (please excuse me if I explain things too much - I just want to make sure you're understanding me):

((***I just saw that you already have the KH swapper button on your site, so skip to the directions on how to put it on your blog below. You already have your button saved on blogger.***))

- Find a button that you want and save it to a server. A lot of folks use Photobucket. Basically, you use these to save the pictures you want so that people on the internet can see them. So, let's say you want this button:

- You're going to right-click on this picture and click on "SAVE IMAGE AS"
Save this wherever you want - I usually use a folder on my desktop so that it's all in one place.

- Go to Photobucket and load your picture. Photobucket will give you directions on how to do this. Your button is now loaded and ready for you to put it on your blog.

To put it on your blog:

- Click on your TEMPLATE tab to see the code for your page. It'll look like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

- Scroll down to the bottom until you see this:

<div id="sidebar-wrapper">

<div id="sidebar">

(those four lines are the code that contain the stuff in your sidebar like your profile, archives, and that 'powered by blogger' button)

- You'll be adding a line for Links (or Buttons, or Things, or whatever you want to call it. Make it yours.)

- You're going to place the code between these two lines:

<h2 class="sidebar-title">Previous Posts</h2>

- OK, so after the "End #profile", press Enter, and add this line:

<h2 class="sidebar-title">Buttons</h2>

((**You don't have to use "buttons"- name it whatever you want. This title will show on your blog, just like "Archives" and "Previous Posts" does.))

- Take a deep breath...you just added a new section to your sidebar!!!

- Now, to add the button:

- Press Enter again.
- add this line:

[*]

((The "a href" is the code to the LINK to the KH swappers page. The "img src" is the code to the BUTTON for the KH swappers that's already saved to your blog. I found this by right-clicking on the button, going to PROPERTIES, and highlight and copy the ADDRESS/URL. The "/a" and "/li" just close the code, telling us that you're done with this line.))

- Press ENTER again.
- Add [/list]
- Click "SAVE TEMPLATE CHANGES" and then republish your blog.

That's it, you're done!!

To add more buttons, just follow the instructions above, except when you add the code for the button, you'll change it to match the location of your new picture. You'll put the new lines BEFORE the[/list]. You don't need to add[/list]again...one is all you need.

So,
[*][img]the address for you button[/img]

Clear as mud?
Let me know if it doesn't work.
Good luck!

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
gimmesanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh thank you thank you thank you!!!

That was exactly the info I was looking for. Sharon & Rebecca you both are so nice to have shared that with me. Dh is a programmer, but he makes things so technical that I was even more lost after asking him for help.

I can't wait. I just know that I will spend all day tomorrow at work making my buttons & progress bars work, LOL.

You all are the best!!