Old 06-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
Originally Posted by sfavereau
I use circular needles and dpns almost exclusively, but straights tend to be really good for intarsia!
I was going to say circs for everything, but I have to agree with you on this one. I did a sweater with lots of intarsia and found that, though heavy, straights worked best, but for the life of me I don't remember what caused me to switch. I think it was just that it was much easier to see what I'd done on each row. (plus if you have a lot of yarn hanging off the back, circs can get caught in it)

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
misstialouise
Working the Gusset

I have a fair whack of straights.. and I use them.

I LOVE my circs, and will usually use those.. BUT

When I want CHUNKY needles, I need to use straights..

And I LOVE my caseins!!! can't get those in circs..

I DO, however, want some of the knitpicks nickel plated needles... I just need to wait until after bub is born (or until I get my EOY bonus) before I can justify buying them :D

Version: 1.1
KCR++ Exp+ SPM+ *Options+++ Addi+ Wood+ Cas+ Cot++ Wool+++ Lux++ Hemp++ Nov+ Stash++ Scale+ Fin+ Ent Lace++ Tex++ Felt+++ Flat Circ+++ DPN ML2 Swatch+ KIP Blog SNB GaugeDK(F) WIP+(++) ALTSw+Sp+Cr+X

------END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK------

On my Options:
Drake the Dreaded Dragon Backpack - girly version for my niece for Christmas

I'M IN !! I'm vintagegrrl on Ravelry
misstialouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #13
jessi_9783
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to jessi_9783
Originally Posted by skNYC
Why do you want 3 interchangable sets? Are you like me a shopping addict, or it is necessary for certain projects?
I don't use the Boye set because it sucks. Plus, I tend to have a lot of projects going at once. As much as I love my Denise's I love the feel of Addi Turbos the best. I bought the the Denise's because I just couldn't justify buying all of those Addi's in mulitple lengths. So I only have Addi's in 000-4 in a 40" lengths for ML. Also I love trying new things, my dream job would be product testing. :D
jessi_9783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 AM   #14
mulene
Working the Gusset

For the first time, I needed to use my boye set along with my denise set on this project (bombshell from BGK). I needed the smaller size needle for the ribbing and now for the sleeve and neck lines.

It has finally given me a chance to use both sets properly on a project. I adore my denise, I wish they came in smaller sizes! The boye set was ok but not as smooth as denise - the cables annoy me a little on it, so little flexibility.

I also have a FULL set of Pony straights that I got from ebay. I've barely touched them since getting the denise / boye sets so I think I would have to agree that circs can pretty much completely replace straights (except DPNs).

I like my Pony set for straights BUT they are just too long. I also love the feel of bamboo straights I only have one or two pairs in bamboo, eventually I'd get a full set if I saw them cheap enough and short enough.

I'd like the try the knitpicks ones but gonna wait on what the reviewers say and then will have to find someone willing to take delivery for me in the US and forward them on to me

My First Finished Project in 20 years!: Sirdar Foxy Scarf!

mulene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #15
IrishBaby
Knitting the Flap

Have you ever tried the magic loop method? Before doing away with your DPNs, try it and see if you like it. I personally don't care for it, and would rather knit on DPNs.

But technically, yes, circs can replace all other needles, and I use my Addi circs 90% of the time.
IrishBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #16
JLC
Instepping Out

I have aluminum straights in all sizes, but they just sit in a vase looking pretty. I haven't used them since about a month after I started knitting and discovered circulars work way better for me. I do still use dpn's, for small diameter knitting with small needle sizes (like socks) because the join on most of my circulars drives me crazy. I bought a couple of the new knitpicks needles in size 2 and 3 to try them for socks, and if that goes well, I may give up the dpn's.
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Circs all the way! I'm not even sure I would know how to handle straights anymore I do still use DPN's although I have used the 2 circ and magic loop for small stuff. Sometimes, DPN's still just seem more convenient, plus it's fun to change up methods anyway.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
I use all kinds of needles, because I have so many projects going at the same time.

Oh! And I LOVE to use the long straight needles for back scratchers!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:54 AM   #19
skNYC
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to skNYC Send a message via Yahoo to skNYC
Originally Posted by carolina red
Oh! And I LOVE to use the long straight needles for back scratchers!
:rofling:
skNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #20
gamma3
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to gamma3
Help deciding on using circular needles
I am going to be knitting a child's sweater. Can I use circular needles instead of straight? Does this change the gauge?? Does it make it looser or tighter. Thanks for any help.

SHEILA
gamma3 is offline   Reply With Quote