Old 07-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #21
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You can use circs instead of straights to knit flat and it shouldn't change the gauge at all.

If you are changing a flat pattern to a circular one, then there can be a guage change between the two types of knitting since you don't do any purling.
You can make an easy circular swatch by knitting about 5 inches on a circular needle and then instead of turning your work and purling back, slide the stitches to the other end of the needle, and knit across again. You can let the yarn carry across the back in a big loop.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #22
gamma3
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to gamma3
Thanks a lot for the help. I am definitely going to try this and see how it goes.
gamma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #23
gamma3
Casting On

Circular needles
I am totally sold on converting as many patterns as i can to circular needles but how do you determine the length you need. I need to cast on 120 stitches in worsted weight for a child's sweater.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #24
nicolethegeek
Instepping Out

If you are knitting in the round {no side seams}, you will want your circ to be about 4 inches smaller {give or take} than what you expect the circumference to be. For adult sweaters, I usually use a 29" circ. For my kids' sweaters, I will use a 24" or 16" circ. The main thing is that you need to have enough room on the needle and cord for all of your stitches, without the needle being too long that it stretches it out. I grab the circ that is close to the "size" I need, but still "smaller". Clear as mud?

Nicole's Crochet Bistro
NCB/The Purl in the Oyster {patterns & stitch markers}
The Purl in the Oyster {my blog}

Year of the Sweater KAL: Pinwheel Top {Skacel Yarn Ad Sweater} in two strands of Sirdar Denim Chunky {just needs seaming}
Current UFO Extermination Project: Homespun sweater coat {frogged and being reknit}
nicolethegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #25
DreamWeaver
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DreamWeaver
I don't think that circs can FULLY remove regular needles. I guess they could sciantificly, but but not in my heart (boy, that sounded cheesy). But isn't it macical when you pick up the stright needles and you know that you are doing the same thing that hundreds have done before? I feel so cool when I realise that :sunny:

FO's: Just finished both of my pink socks. Nothing fancy, but alright.
WIP: Nothing. It's so depressing
Up Next: Purse for my friend (still need to get yarn)
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #26
gamma3
Casting On

Circular needles
Thanks so much for all your help. Greatly appreciated.

SHEILA
Old 07-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #27
AidanM
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by DreamWeaver
I don't think that circs can FULLY remove regular needles. I guess they could sciantificly, but but not in my heart (boy, that sounded cheesy). But isn't it macical when you pick up the stright needles and you know that you are doing the same thing that hundreds have done before? I feel so cool when I realise that :sunny:
Well, knowing that a lot of knitting in the near past was done circularly - Like Shetland shawls and sweaters - sort of makes me think that if our ancestors had been able to pick up a circular needle they would've been pretty pleased with it. Like EZ says in her Knitting Workshop, "I put myself in the mind of a Cornish knitter with no printed instructions, BUT with a circular needle." I don't get the same nostalgia.

Of course, I could just be overly fond of my Denise set right now....

------Begin Knitter's Geek Code Block------

Version: 1.1

KCR Exp> Spm-> Bam+ Alu+ Syn+++ Nov--- Cot++ Wool++ Lux Hemp+ Stash++> Scale+> Fin@ Ent? FI !Int--- Tex+ Lace Felt- Flat Circ DPN Swatch- KIP++ SNB- EZ+++ FO> WIP+++ WGauge+ Cr+++ Sw+ Wv?> Sp?>

------End Knitter's Geek Code Block-----
AidanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #28
Braden
Instepping Out

Yes, because you can knit in the round or flat. I do not even use straights anymore, because compared to circs and DPN's they are so cumbersome, and I can only get the big 14" wich makes them even more so. If you really want to get into circular needles, you might consider an interchangeable set, but try them before you get them.

ETA: I just got a set of Susan Bates CRYSTALITES. I LOVE them. THey are now the only straight needles I use, but I will never love anything more than my Boye NeedleMaster.
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 AM   #29
Lieke
Working the Gusset

well, I've only used circs once. I guess that's because my mom hates them, and till now, I only used her needles, which incluce only 1 circ (and now, 1 of me as well) But I didn't like knitting on circs, I prefer dpns. I noticed you all do your knitting on circs, but I wonderd how you do that if you have a flat pattern. Well, I like my straight needles for knitting, wouldn't want anything else.
Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #30
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by jessi_9783
I use circs exclusively. As for DPNs, I don't own a single set. For icord I just use my Denise's without the cord.
I used my Denise's last night as DPNs when fiishing off the last couple rounds of a hat. It required a bit of futzing with the stoppers and needles, but it worked.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote