Old 06-23-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
mornnen
1st Leg of the Journey

Long tail cast-on: When to use?
Hi Everyone!

This is probably a really stupid question , but here goes. From what I have read, the long tail cast on (which I know how to do now and love) knits the first row. If this is true, does that mean if you are knitting stockinette that you should purl the first non cast on row?
Likewise, if the first row of a pattern is a combintation of knitting and purling, should you use a different (non- long tail) cast on?

Thanks,
Julie

Knitting takes balls!... of yarn...
mornnen is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
i use the long tail cast on for absolutely everything with the rare exception of when i need a provisional cast on.

I also read when i first started that this would be a knit row but every pattern i have read says cast on and THEN starts the pattern instructions so i use it and just start the pattern with the first row information it gives.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Julie
Instepping Out

I use long tail for everything, unless the pattern specifically calls for something else. If I'm knitting stockinette, I purl the next row, if I'm knitting a different pattern, I just start with row one of the instructions.

But that's just me... :D
Old 06-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I do exactly the same that brendajos does.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax3303
Me, too.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
Am I the only one who has trouble with the long tail cast-on? I absolutely ALWAYS get the amount of yarn wrong, and it always comes out uneven, some stitches way too loose, others not so loose... I've started doing a knitted cast-on just because I know I won't run out of yarn (except most times it comes out too tight, I'm noticing...).

Sigh. If anyone has any hints as to how to do this better, please share!

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #7
mornnen
1st Leg of the Journey

What I do
Originally Posted by Kirochka
Am I the only one who has trouble with the long tail cast-on? I absolutely ALWAYS get the amount of yarn wrong, and it always comes out uneven, some stitches way too loose, others not so loose... I've started doing a knitted cast-on just because I know I won't run out of yarn (except most times it comes out too tight, I'm noticing...).

Sigh. If anyone has any hints as to how to do this better, please share!
I think I remember reading as part of another thread, or maybe for the video for the long tail, that you need to have at least two, perhaps times the width of your knitted project. I just try to overestimate then then cut off any major excess.
in terms of cast on tension, I just pull on the yarn until my later stitches kinda look like the first. But I do have a tendency to tighten up as I get going and I just try to remember not to do that.

Knitting takes balls!... of yarn...
mornnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
Cristy
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Ingrid
Originally Posted by Jax3303
Me, too.
Me three. And it's also the only cast on I use unless otherwise specified that a different cast-on is required. I don't seem to have tension problems and over the time that I've been knitting I've gotten better at estimating the amount of yarn needed for the tail. I think I read somewhere that a inch per stitch is a good beginning and then learn to adjust from there?? That's roughly what I do...Regarding the tension--I think that just comes with more practice. You may have to accept wonky tension in the beginning until you are more comfortable with it. I would suggest using it on several smaller swatches in a row--that would give you some good and frequent practice.

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #9
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

For large projects, I usually estimate my long-tail-yarn usage by casting on 10-20 sts, then pulling them off, measuring the length of tail I used and multiplying to approximate the amount I need for the whole thing. (I only bother with this for things with lots of sts, like sweaters in the round)

As for being uneven/too tight, I'm not sure much can be done. If I pay attention to what I am doing I can usually get them to turn out well, but if not they can easily turn out less than ideal.

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:29 AM   #10
sfavereau
Knitting the Flap

I also use long-tail for everything unless the pattern specificall says to use a different one. For me, long-tail is the cast one that ends up the neatest and most even for me. I even use it for cuff-down socks and I've never had any problem with stretchiness.

My blog
sfavereau is offline   Reply With Quote