Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Lieke
Working the Gusset

What to use for socks if you are allergic to wool?
I've got a question. I'm knitting for a while now and I want to try to make some socks. The only problem is that all the yarn I can find for socks has wool in it and I'm allergic to wool. If I use thas my hands will get itchy and swollen, which makes me unable to knit.

My question is, what can I use for socks, so they are comfortable to wear?
Lieke is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

There are some great cotton-blend sock yarns!

Elann Esprit

Cascade Fixation

Fortissima Cotton Colori (soooo soft!)

Also, I can't think of the working title off the top of my head...but Amy Singer (editor of Knitty) is working on a book right now about NOT knitting with wool (she's very allergic -- there are a lot of yarns she said she can't even touch :( ). She talked about it on the latest Knitcast. :D
Old 06-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

Knitpicks Dancing doesn't contain wool, then there's Plymouth sockotta sock yarn and various other cotton blend sock yarns. You will find several if you google cotton and/or cotton blend sock and/or fingering wt. yarn

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #4
Julie
Instepping Out

Becka, have you had your coffee yet?? :rofling:

(Dancing is 39% wool.)
Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Lieke
Working the Gusset

Thanks voor the suggestions. I also discoverd dancing contained wool. I'm really allergic, even 5% is to much for me, so the yarn has to be totally free of wool.

I really liked the Fortissima Cotton Colori, hope I can find it

The suggested yarns don't sound familiar to me, I don't know if I can find them in the Netherlands. If I can't find them, can I also use yarn which is usually used for sweaters? 100% cotton for example, or a cotton blend?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
Julie
Instepping Out

100% cotton isn't ideal for socks, because it has no "memory." It stretches out of shape. Any cotton yarn used for socks should have some other fiber to help it in that regard...elastc, nylon, etc. It doesn't have to be a sock yarn per se -- I personally think DK or worsted weight yarn is great to learn how sock construction works -- but keep in mind that the heavier the yarn, the thicker the sock. :D
Old 06-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
sop 1
1st Leg of the Journey

Wool Allergy
Julie,
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I too am horribly allergic to wool and am always looking for an alternative or substitute. I can wear a wool skirt fully lined and will have a "hive belt" on in no time! (also hive knee bands !)My husband wants a wool vest and I may try it if my hands hold out. I am going to the Knitty site right now to read the article.
Sop 1 in NC
:XX: (but not with wool!)

sop 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 AM   #8
Lieke
Working the Gusset

thanks Julie, I guess I will be able to find some sockyarn which I am not allergic to. I've been thinking, and all the yarn I've used has been european, so I'm afraid I won't be able to find those special sockyarns. But, your suggestions are really helpfull.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
samm
Turning the Heel

I just began a pair of socks while in the car today and realized that the yarn is acrylic. Then I thought of this post!!!! The yarn is Moda Dea Sassy Stripes. They have a site www.modadea.com if you want to see if you can find it. It is knitting up nicely and feels great too. An internet friend finished a pair and loves hers. Hope this helps!!! samm in Canada
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Doublereeder2
Working the Gusset

There are cotton/acrylic blends as well:

Katia Mississippi 3 (sold by Carodan Farms) is one and if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they sell a crochet cotton/acrylic blend by Coats and Clark called Senso.

These yarns are not very stretchy, but they seem to be fine. I use them with lacy patterns that have some give so they work for me. They probably would not be so good with a plain stockingette stitch leg.

Bernat makes an acrylic called Sox - not so comfortable but it works.

Aw, gee - c'mon and see: www.knittinreed.blogspot.com
Doublereeder2 is offline   Reply With Quote