Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
sstephy
Casting On

need help making a 2 color "twisted" i-cord
Hi, Has anyone every made a 2 color i-cord that is twisted? I need help figuring out how to make it to add to the top edge of a purse I'm making. It's knit on, not made separately and sewn on later. I've seen it on purses, but can't figure out how it's done.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Stephanie
sstephy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
MrsBear87
1st Leg of the Journey

Icord Cast Off
See http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/05/secrets.html

It is just one color there, but you might be able to do it in two.

Good luck!

Krishnamurti

http://www.mrsbearswoods.blogspot.com
http://www.bearwoodsknitting.com
MrsBear87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
dplantlady
Knitting the Flap

Hi Stephanie,

I've just done an applied I-cord on one of Cat Bordhi's cat baskets. The directions are in her 2nd Treasury with some good pictures. It wasn't done in two colors, though. What I did was change colors all around, using four or five different colors, but just one at a time.

Basically, you have the last row of stitches still on your needles, add 2 stitches at the start of the row by knitting them on, then knit those 2 stitches plus 1 more (the first main purse stitch). (*Move those just done sts back to your left needle, K2, then K2 tog, knitting the third st together with the 2nd main purse stitch still on your needles), repeat from *).

Just reread your post...it wasn't "twisted" either... :(

Don't know if this helped or not...

Diane

Recently Finished Projects: 2 felted mobius cat baskets, MANY Lace Washcloths, The Magic Scarf from HELL, 6 Knitted Lace XMas Balls in crochet thread, Lace XMas Ball in mohair, 4 Initialed Washcloths, 2 Lacy Soap Socks (1 knit, 1 crochet), 2 Seamless Rectangle Snuggles (one outside in, one inside out), XMas Tree Illusion Snuggle, 3 scarves for presents, Fisherman Knit Snuggle, Turkish Stitch String Bag, Wheelie Steering Wheel Cover, Moebius Cat Basket, 9 Snuggles, Preemie Hats, Sandy's (Felted) Cat Basket
dplantlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
krazy4kats
Knitting the Flap

I haven't done an applied I-Cord, but here's how to do a spiral I-cord (it turns out like a barber shop pole and is smooth, with no bump-like cord twisting around it).

CO 4

K2
K2 slide to end

K1 K2 K1 slide to end

K2 K2 slide to end

K1 K2 K1 slide to end

Repeat these 4 rows until cord is the length you want. And for each first stitch, cross the working yarn over the other color so that the ends stay inside the tube.

Here's a website with an applied twisted I-Cord, no detailed instructions but some pix in progress, looks like she makes each twist as a separate I-Cord and twists and applies them as she goes along.
krazy4kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:54 PM   #5
sstephy
Casting On

need help making a 2 color "twisted" i-cord
Thank you all for your help. Seeing the blog with the photo of a twisted i-cord gives me hope! I can see how I 'might' be able to get it to work with 2 colors. The next question is will it stand up to being felted?! :thinking:

I've searched for months and no one had ever heard of it and your help has been so invaluable!

Stephanie
sstephy is offline   Reply With Quote