Old 07-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,136 Times in 707 Posts
sweater help
I'm doing this sweater http://www.berroco.com/176/176_jil.html I got front & back done to shoulder & neck shaping how do I continue to get a 3 needle bind off for shoulders?

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

If you want to do the 3 needle bind off, you cannot first bind off your pieces. You have to leave the stitches on the needles, and have the same # of stitches on each shoulder piece for it to work perfectly. You do a 3 needle bind off with the right sides of your work together. Have you seen the three needle bind off video on this page (last one on page)???
Old 07-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
If you want to shape the shoulders and still do the 3-needle bind off, you can do short rows, working up to where the bind off would be and then w&t. One last row to pick up the wraps and then do the 3nbo. If you're not sure how to do the short rows on the shoulders, holler.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
momwolf
Instepping Out

HOLLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Shape Shoulders and Neck: Bind off 4(6-6-7) sts at beg of the next 2 rows. Next Row: Bind off 5(5-6-7) sts, k until there are 6(6-7-8) sts on right-hand needle, join another ball of MC and bind off center 18(20-22-23) sts for neck, k to end. Working both sides at once, bind off 5(5-6-7) sts at beg of the next 3 rows. AT THE SAME TIME, dec 1 st at each neck edge once.

This one's a bit more complicated than others because it starts the shaping before you do the neck. The easiest way would be to just knit the shoulders even until you finish the neck shaping. I seriously doubt it will make that much difference.

However, if you really want the shaping, I'll try to explain it.

Instead of binding off the initial 4 stitches for two rows (I'm going to use the numbers for the smallest size), purl across to the last 4 stitches, w&t, and then knit to the last 4 st, w&t.

On the next row, purl across until there are 9 stitches left, w&t, knit until there are 6 stitches on the needle and then do the neck bind off, but don't finish the row. Knit until there are 9 stitches on that side and w&t.

Then work the shoulders, w&t 5 stitches before the last w&t. Do this on each shoulder twice. This should replace all the bind offs. Also do the neck decrease on the first row.

Finally, work across each shoulder one time, picking up the wraps.

Then you can do your 3NBO.

I hope this makes sense.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 07-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
momwolf
Instepping Out

DO I do the short row W & T ?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
momwolf
Instepping Out

I have another Question Why can't you put the neck sts on a circular needle and do the neck band that way?why do you have to bind off those sts and then pick up more to do add neck band?

Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Amy has video on the w&t in the Advanced Techniques section under short row with wrap. That shows it better than I can explain.

As for the neck, I suppose you could put those stitches on a holder and just knit those and pick up stitches along the inside edges of the shoulders, but sometimes it's good to bind off and pick up to get a firmer edge around the collar so it doesn't want to flop down.

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanks for all your help Ingrid!!!!!!!!!! Now if I can just do it.Off to try