Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

OT: HPV Vaccine Recommended by CDC!
The Centers for Disease Control announced today a government recommendation that all 11 and 12 year old girls be vaccinated against HPV. The vaccine prevents a vast majority of cervical cancer, vaginal cancer and genital warts.

I actually cried when I heard the announcement today. It is a banner day for women's healthcare.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-29-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

Banner Day?
When we have to protect our children at age 11 and 12 from sexually transmitted diseases?

How about a Banner Day would be that 'Abstinence was accepted and followed through as an effective form of disease control in the United States.'?

Oh but that isn't going to happen .....
So let's inject all of the children, (even though we can't for the boys yet because the studies just aren't done for them)

Quote:
About 7 percent of children have had sexual intercourse before age 13
http://<br /> http://apnews.myway.c...D8II1FC00.html

So let's vaccinate EveryOne! And make it manditory too dammit!

I vote no. I'll not offer up my child (or yours) as a guinea pig.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
AnreeAce
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Let me just second that!

I believe in a life of Virtuous Sloth, but it sounds so much better in Latin: otium cum dignitate, leisure with dignity.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Curlykat
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by IndianPrincessSIP
IndianPrincessSIP, I completely agree with you.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

I third that, IndianPrincess.

As parents who have chosen to only minimally vaccinate, DH and I are firm believers that we over-vaccinate as is.

This is just one more chemical that we're injecting into our children.

From cancer.gov:

"The vaccine tested in this study has several limitations, noted NCIís Hildesheim. For one thing, the vaccine offers no protection against other types of HPV that can also cause cervical cancer. In addition, itís unknown whether the vaccineís protection against HPV-16 is long-lasting. Finally, it does not prevent HPV-16 infections already present at the time of vaccination from progressing to cancer."

This is not the end-all, be-all of cervical cancer. Safe sex education in our schools and in our homes is what we need more of, not more knee-jerk reactions.

~Sharon

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
Old 06-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
DoulaLyndsey
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to DoulaLyndsey Send a message via Yahoo to DoulaLyndsey
Originally Posted by Curlykat
Originally Posted by IndianPrincessSIP
IndianPrincessSIP, I completely agree with you.
Ditto!

DoulaLyndsey on Ravelry

Currently working on:
-Lotus Blossom Tank (for me!)
-socks for step dad for xmas
-Fiber Trends felted clogs for great-aunt for xmas
-Sun Ray shawl from Elann for grandma for xmas
Old 06-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
iza
Turning the Heel

Well... come on, now... nobody said "Let's have the vaccine, get naked and have sex with everybody"! The strategy has to go in many directions at the same time. Yes, safer sex is good. But ALSO, protecting girls FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES from a very dangerous disease. Of course, as parents, you have to make a choice, and that's fine... but I personally find we should be happy when a vaccine or a cure is found for a disease, not being outraged!!! These diseases affect real people in real families for all kinds of reasons and 200 000 women die every year of cervical cancer. I think this news about this vaccine diserves some respect, if only in memory of these women who died. With the number of women on this site, some of us will be affected by these diseases, whether we like it or not. Some of us might even have the HPV and not know it...

If I was dying from a disease and discovered that my parents didn't allow me to get the vaccine that could save my life, I would be very mad at them. Sorry but that's my point of view.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
gimmesanity
Turning the Heel

Iza,
Speaking for myself, it's not disrespect for the vaccine that I have. I'm against the insinuation that a shot is going to fix the problem. The HPV vaccine is not for life - they don't know how long the defense will last. When you get a vaccine, any vaccine, it's not for life. That's why you need to get boosters as you get older.

I'm willing to put money on the fact that the HPV vaccine will be targeted at a certain group: minority women from low-income areas. Globally, this vaccine will be aimed at women in developing countries. Instead of increasing awareness and paying for better health care for these women, the gov't is going to put a band-aid on the problem and give out these shots that may or may not be effective against cervical cancer, and it may or may not cause serious reactions. Anytime you put anything foreign in your body, especially something that's made with a myriad of chemicals, you run the risk of having a reaction. Keep adding these ingredients with repeated shots, and your chances increase.

Also, studies have yet to be conclusive on the effectiveness of the vaccine, so pap smears are still the best way to catch and treat cervical cancer early. A vaccine will serve as a justification to stop funding that help under-privledged women have access to such an expensive test.

I just don't want the shot to be a red herring drawing attention away from the true problem here.

My Knitting/Reading/Running/Rambling Blog
Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

Iza~
You never have to be sorry for your point of view.
At least you have one. :D

It is not so much that I disagree with the 'intent' of the vaccine. Of course I would that noone ever again be diagnosed with cancer, or any disease for that matter. And I can line up and say that yes I am one of those in the very long line that has been directly affected.

There was a drug that doctors freely prescribed in the late 60's for prenatal nasaua, that became responsible for many deformaties in the children they carried.
What exactly and how does this vaccine work? Will it offset a natural process? Drugs more drugs they bellowed and brayed, and the turtles way down in the pond were afraid...
they obeyed.

How about abstinence anyway?
How about a real look at the moral decay we woke up this morning in?

Would you really blame your Mom who had every intent of heart to care about your well being for mistakes that you made in your life, of your own volition?
Closed Thread