Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:31 PM   #21
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
craftymom
1st Leg of the Journey

Quote:
Finally... I am so glad that I live in a place where we can agree to disagree and not have a flaming problem in the forum.
When I first started reading this thread, I immediately thought "Oh no." I have to tell you that it was fun and informative reading your posts and a tribute to you all that it stayed that way.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #23
Jenelle
Instepping Out

Send a message via AIM to Jenelle Send a message via MSN to Jenelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jenelle
This angers me..

In all honesty, this truely does. This is the generation that I live in(I'm 14), and that I have to grow up with. :rollseyes:

I personally don't even like people my age dating. It's more like a game rather than a relationship and commitment. :rollseyes:

What will they think of next? :(
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 AM   #24
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

Ah Janelle~
I can't blame you for feeling like you do. The best that you can do, is just make the right choices for yourself.

People do what they want to do.

If you make the right decisions in your life, and it sounds like you do, then none of this or anything else they come up with is any reflection on you.
And you will be a positive example in your group. Besides you hang out with knitters so that makes you cool, in and of itself.

PS Keep an eye out ~ I just made the coolest shrug. I'll post a thread in the Whacha Knitting tomorrow when I get some good photos. It's my own pattern. :D
Old 06-30-2006, 01:43 AM   #25
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Jenelle
I personally don't even like people my age dating. It's more like a game rather than a relationship and commitment. :rollseyes:
I'm sorry it angers you. What IndianPrincessSIP said is correct. Make the best decisions for yourself is all you can do. FWIW my daughters weren't allowed to date till they were 16 and neither was I so I agree with you about this. You already know how I feel about the vaccine so we'll leave it at that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 06-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #26
ladyindica2000
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by IndianPrincessSIP
Banner Day?
When we have to protect our children at age 11 and 12 from sexually transmitted diseases?

How about a Banner Day would be that 'Abstinence was accepted and followed through as an effective form of disease control in the United States.'?

Oh but that isn't going to happen .....
So let's inject all of the children, (even though we can't for the boys yet because the studies just aren't done for them)

Quote:
About 7 percent of children have had sexual intercourse before age 13
http://<br /> http://apnews.myway.c...D8II1FC00.html

So let's vaccinate EveryOne! And make it manditory too dammit!

I vote no. I'll not offer up my child (or yours) as a guinea pig.
My best friend has genital herpes. Besides being amaizingly painfuly, they are now totally preventable. Frankly, yahoo. I just wish that this would have come sooner for her. Btw, she is not promiscious, her husband got them when he was a teenager and she contracted them from him.

Next on the Needles: My own design!!!

Check out my blog: http://seetrishknit.blogspot.com/

My geek code: KE++C+ Exp SPM+ Den++ Steel (+) Addi>+ Syn++ Nov Cot+ Wool> Lux> Hemp? Stash++ Scale++ Fin Ent? FI> Int> Tex> Lace? Felt? Flat Circ+ DPN> Swatch-- KIP SNB> EZ? FO7 WIP1 Guage B+ Cr+ Sw+++ Sp>
Old 06-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #27
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

Like I stated prior. I would that no one ever again got any disease, be it, cancer, genital herpes, or the birdflu, again.
I do not think that this vacine is the complete answer for the problem. Lets take perfectly healthy young girls and sock them with the disease to make them immune. Do you realize that sometimes it does opposite of what it is supposed to? That this is a New treatment, and that there probably will be a percentage that actually Get whatever they are innoculated with? For their own good, yes, because their future mate may give it to them.

The complete answer is abstinence. Your friends husbands abstinence in this case, be it now or years ago as a teenager. Makes no difference.

Yeah Yahoo.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #28
iza
Turning the Heel

IndianPrincessSIP, you said earlier that people make decisions for themselves. This also applies for sex. Sex behaviours are a highly personal thing that can not be imposed on anybody. What we must do though is to ensure that people protect themselves and their partners. Abstinence as the only national program against STDs does not work, it never did and it never will. It can be a personal choice and SHOULD certaintly be mentionned as a way to prevent diseases, and it SHOULD also be the "focus" for young teenagers. But you can not base an entire program just on this. To me it's a little like saying that there is no point in developing a cure for lung or colon cancer, since all we have to do is not to smoke and be vegetarian... you have a total control on your smoking and eating habits after all. However, you don't have any control on your partner's history... and they can lie to you to!!!

This vaccine is not about moral. It's about health. Did you know that at age 50, 80% of women will have been in contact with HPV? 80%!!!! By the time we try to get people to be abstinent (which I'm very skeptical of), what do we do? This is what doctors have to deal with. Not moral or philosophy. Real people with real diseases and real families suffering RIGHT NOW. This being said, I don't want to start a fight here... It is an interesting discussion and I am respectful of your opinion.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
IndianPrincessSIP
Knitting the Flap

And I am absolutely respectful of yours and the others that have posted as well.

Quote:
Abstinence as the only national program against STDs does not work, it never did and it never will.
That exactly is what I am getting at.
You see, when I saw the excitement about this vaccine by the originator of the thread my heart sank. Because as was stated, I think this is a kneejerk answer. Should studies be stopped because we can't be responsible in our sexual behaviour? No absolutely not, should cures and preventive measures be stopped? No absolutely not. What I am against, is absolute dogma that abstinence be treated as a will never happen, furggeddaboutit answer.

Is it possible that from henceforth people will act responsibly?
That the man, or woman, who knows he/she has a disease will never go forth and have unprotected sex again? We are selfish, and people don't care who or what they hurt, as long as they get what they want. It is pathetic.

But I stand by my original statement that I think it is rude to innoculate young girls against a disease, with a vaccine that may or may not work. It is dangerous, and it is irresponsible.

A turnaround to morally motivated behavior is really the only answer. Like it or not, it will work, whereas we can innoculate ourselves silly, and these diseases will only mutate, and overcome our tiny swords.

The answer is abstinence.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:41 PM   #30
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

The reason that children have to be vaccinated instead of adults, is that the earlier the vaccine is given, the more effective it is. In other words, if you have already been exposed to HPV the vaccine will be less effective. This means that all the young women can still be abstinent, and when they have sex for the first time on their wedding night, they will be protected from a virus that could potentially end their lives. Or they can be abstinent, have sex for the first time on their wedding night and get HPV from their spouse, then potentially die from cancer.

As I have said in the past, I am not a proponent of abstinence. I am also not a proponent of pre-marital sex. But I do not believe that death should be the punishment for bad judgement. If suffering and death might be prevented, then that is what I am for.

While I have enjoyed reading all the opinions on this post, most of them positive and informative, I don't appreciate having someone judge my opinion as "kneejerk". This is a subject I have been following for years, read a lot about and feel deeply about, just as I imagine you have. Because we don't agree does not mean that I haven't given the issue a great deal of consideration.
Closed Thread